urinal cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do these basic cisterns work? We have one at work that just appears to consist of a supply pipe entering a cistern. I've always wondered how is it triggered to flush? And how often does it do so? There are no external sensors or anything. Does it just constantly fill to a trip point, then empty and fill again? This seems a tad wasteful. Are they?

Sponsored Links
It will flush as long as there is a water supply to it. If it is of the basic simple type, it is likely that there is a drip tap called a 'pet-cock' above the cistern which drips until a level is reached where the water self syphons to flush.
It one pipe inside a cone, and when the water reaches the top of the pipe, it overspills internally and syphons the water out.
You should be able to slow or speed the flush by altering the drip rate on the p-c.

Steve,

Tis as simple as that, water level builds up and causes syphon, water flows out and it all starts again. Water flow is adjusted which alters the intervals of flushing, but it is no more basic than that.

Sponsored Links
They can be wasteful, flushing 24/7 when buildings are not occupied. There are various water saving devices available to trigger filling of the cistern or flushing when the premises are occupied.

I did my apprenticeship through the YTS, fitted a Cistermiser valve at the YTS folks premises towards the end of my training. The deputy manager who was also a local councillor then had them fitted in all the council buildings as he realised how much water was being wasted and how much the council could save.....

They can be wasteful, flushing 24/7 when buildings are not occupied. There are various water saving devices available to trigger filling of the cistern or flushing when the premises are occupied.

I did my apprenticeship through the YTS, fitted a Cistermiser valve at the YTS folks premises towards the end of my training. The deputy manager who was also a local councillor then had them fitted in all the council buildings as he realised how much water was being wasted and how much the council could save.....

haha not heard of YTS for donkeys years, i did a 6 month YOP pre apprentiship in 1978, which i'm sure was before YTS, and got £16.40 per week

Was 1989, I was on about £28 a week. It did rise to £35 in the 2nd year.... Took a part time job in Tesco evenings and weekends to earn a bit more. My supervisor (at Tesco) was often complaining about me going into work in the evening still smelling of boss white/flux/covered in tile adhesive/whatever else we'd used during the day.... Just didnt have time between finishing one job and starting shift at Tesco!

fitted in all the council buildings as he realised how much water was being wasted and how much the council could save.....

haha not heard of YTS for donkeys years, i did a 6 month YOP pre apprentiship in 1978, which i'm sure was before YTS, and got £16.40 per week
I`d been out of my apprenticeship for 3 years by `78 :oops: was waiting to become a yuppy in the 80`s :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back