Irregular Shapes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone extend some help regarding creating a template for irregualr shapes. I've heard of an "adjustable shape-tracing template" that may do the job. I've got to cut around a toilet and some door molding. I did one bathroom by using the trial and error guess method w/ a piece of cardstock cut to the size of my tile. It took hours and I'm trying to find a better way. I don't want to lift the toilet or trim the molding. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Take the side of a cardboard box and use a craft knife. I've always used a piece of card and gradually cut out the shape whilst constantly fitting to check it is still OK. I've used this method over the years on many a problem area - never made a mistake yet!

Well, I was thinking of making a mold to use over and over again. You say just user card-board can keep making cut after cut. I guess I can do that but I figured there must be some mold-putty type product on the market that fits into a shape and then can be traced later. Guess I might be wrong or need to invent something like that!

You can obtain an inexpensive tracing tool, from Gamleys (a Toy Shop in the UK). Maybe you could check out stationers for drawing equipment, or toy shops in your own area.

It creates an exact copy onto a piece of paper (or flooring tile) as you require.

The name escapes me as to what it is called.

Best of Luck.

M. (UK)

Sponsored Links
GIvetime - I think the thing you're referring to is called a Pantograph.

A friend's trick, one I use, is to (step 1) press solder wire (soft, easily bendable) against the shape. I use a pen tip to get it into corners. Next (step 2) mark where, on the tile edge, the "funny shape" needs to begin, and where it needs to end. Finally (step 3) trace the outline of the solder wire (careful -- don't change the shape until it's traced!) onto the tile by placing the ends of the solder wire between the beginning point and end point you marked (step 2) on the tile. This method is ideal for working around doorway moldings and other things protruding from a wall.[/u]

You can also get what is known as a flexible french (took me ages to type that word !!!) curve, used by draughtsmen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back