Knocking a wall and replacing with stud partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am knocking down a non load bearing wall. The structural surveyor suggested to prop the ceiling up while the new partition wall is being built. I might hire some steel props from HSS, but I was wondering if I could get away with propping the ceiling up using the wood I will be using to build the stud wall?
As for the rebuilding of the stud work. I want to use screws to secure the sole and head plate and the stud work to the sole and head plate.
Can someone recommend the size of screws to use?
Would 3 x 2 soft wood be right choice for the wall?

Sponsored Links
Acros cost about a tenner a week to hire, for the sake of £20/30 I go with the acros, but you could build some form of prop out of your timber and once the stud is up you'll be okay.
90-100mm screws be sure there are no cables or pipes where you are going to fix.

are we to presume that these new walls won't be going in the same place as the existing wall ( if they are then why knock it down?? )..

if they are then just build them first in place and then take the other wall down.. it's not rocket science..

if they happen to pass through where the old wall is then just remove one brick at the top and one at the bottom to get the sole and top plate of the wall through ..

Sponsored Links
The new wall is going in the same place as the old one. Old wall is brick and is built on timber floor. There is no wall underneath this wall on the ground floor, so the wall has caused a crack in the back wall of the property. A structural engineer recommended the removal of the wall and replacement with stud partition.

I am knocking down a non load bearing wall. The structural surveyor suggested to prop the ceiling up while the new partition wall is being built.

Surely that's classed as load bearing then? :confused:

Surely that's classed as load bearing then? :confused:

That's what I was thinking! If it's not load bearing, then it's not supporting the ceiling...so no need to prop the ceiling...

The new wall is going in the same place as the old one. Old wall is brick and is built on timber floor. There is no wall underneath this wall on the ground floor, so the wall has caused a crack in the back wall of the property. A structural engineer recommended the removal of the wall and replacement with stud partition.

How did it cause the wall to crack? I take it the wall is at first floor level, perpendicular to the back wall, and toothed in? This caused the crack???
I'm confused...:confused: :confused:

If I'm right then it sounds sensible to remove and replace, but as I said above, if not load bearing then completely pointless hiring acrows to temporarily prop a ceiling that isn't supported by the wall...

plus kind of pointless since you'll need to have the accrows on teh ground not the floating flexible floor that can't support the wall in the first place..
you'd just be spot loading it on one or two joists surely?

is the upstairs wall stud or brick?
if it's brick then that has to go first / as well surely?

The wall in question is on second floor. There is no wall on the ground floor under this wall. So it is built on the timber floor of the second floor. The weight of this wall has cause joist under it to bow and the rear wall has a bit of crack.

The survey said, the roof purling is not supported on the wall and it is not load bearing. He suggested to prop it up while stud partition is being built.

Now I'm confused.

Now I'm confused.

Don't be!

Take the advise of the SE, If you do use acros don't over tighten them and put some planks underneath them to help spread any weight, it's possible they will not be need, but just used as a safe guard.

How long is the wall you are rebuilding?

Thanks.

I think the props are suggested to support the ceiling plaster board from dropping while all the knocking is going on. I will get in the loft to see if anything is running over this wall.

The full length is around 6-7 feet.

6-7 foot and are the adjoining walls supporting walls, if so sounds like acros are an overkill.
But check there is no load above, I don't foresee a problem.
The plasterboards should stay up okay, if you have doubts you can always locate joist and fix up with dry-wall screws.

The ceiling joist are running parallel with the wall that is being removed and not resting above the wall, this would lead to a conclusion that the stud wall is not bearing any load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back