Need a grout and adhesive for bathroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have the tiles for my bathroom but need to get the grout and adhesive.
Is there any guidance you can give on looking for a decent item?

What is the standard material on a floor which tiles on laid on? At the moment there is a thin piece of ply which covers the floorboards.

Thanks guys,

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I have the tiles for my bathroom but need to get the grout and adhesive.
Is there any guidance you can give on looking for a decent item?

What is the standard material on a floor which tiles on laid on? At the moment there is a thin piece of ply which covers the floorboards.

Thanks guys,

personally i would be looking at the Bal or Mapei range og flexible adhesives and grouts

i would lift the thin ply and overboard with at LEAST 12mm wbp ply, unless you want to do the job correctly and take up your floorboards then replace with 25mm wpb ply, make sure the ply is securely screwed down to the joists at 150-200mm centres, also prime the underside and edges of the ply

Many thanks for help, will make a note of that.

Also, just to double check;

All grout (and adhesive) is suitable to shower use, right? I plan to tile the backing wall of the shower cubical.

Is wall tile and adhesive different to what you would use on a floor (apart from grout colour of course)?

edit:

I also have another question I will ask here instead of making a new topic;

Is it ok to tile of existing tiles?
I initially wanted to remove them and start fresh, but I spoke to my father who said the plastered wall will be damaged.

Many thanks for help, will make a note of that.

Also, just to double check;

All grout (and adhesive) is suitable to shower use, right? I plan to tile the backing wall of the shower cubical.

Is wall tile and adhesive different to what you would use on a floor (apart from grout colour of course)?

edit:

I also have another question I will ask here instead of making a new topic;

Is it ok to tile of existing tiles?
I initially wanted to remove them and start fresh, but I spoke to my father who said the plastered wall will be damaged.

No not all grout and adhesive is not suitable for shower use, if you want a totally waterproof adhesive and grout they have to be epoxy based, to complicated i think for D.I.Y, just ask at your tile distributors for waterproof flexible adhesive and grout, explain its for a shower area and they will give you the correct gear ( not epoxy though)

yes wall and floor adhesive and grout are different, BUT i prefer to use floor adhesive (powdered) if fixing any tiles over 200 x 200 mm, thats just my choice, most tile fixers use it on anything 300 x 300mm

Yes it is ok to tile over existing tiles BUT you must take into account the weight factor of the subtrate ( what is the total weight it is capable of holding without causing damage, this weight will include, your old tiles, adhesive,grout, new tiles,adhesive and grout. SO be VERY CAREFUL.

Best way is to remove old tiles, even if it means damaging a wall and getting it skimmed again, or re-boarding it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back