UPVC French Doors protective film problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon.

Just moved into a house that has two sets of French doors at the rear. Just got round to giving them a clean and noticed that what looks like the protective film is still attached to them.

The only problem is it seems to well stuck/baked on. It does come off in very small bits with a thumb nail. Any other scraper I've tried to use scratches the UPVC. I've tried UPVC cleaner, while it does clean the film it doesn't remove it.

Any ideas on how to get rid?

I've attached a few photos to show what i'm trying to describe.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Plastic scraper and plenty of patients unfortunately, have come across this a few times in my time, shoddy fitters want sackin for leavin it on. Went to a job once that Coldseal had just done, went to peel the film off and it left the coldseal logo on the white pvc like a tattoo

may not be the fitters if they are told to leave it on for a builder or while other works were done. I do not always take our tape of if the site has not been finished. But anyway it is a ****e to get off

plenty of patients
:D :D :D

full+ward.JPG

Sponsored Links
Bugger.

Was hoping for a miracle cure. Cheers for the replies.

There are solvents you can buy that are very good for removing sticky labels from products: sold by Maplins and similar cos.

No idea if it would work in your situation as the glue is going to have been baked/aged.

I shall be visiting Maplins and Shell at the weekend, I will let you know my results.

hi, did you have any success with removing the protective film? I've got the same problem, my own fault.

The manufacturers shouldnt use tape which sticks to windows like s**t to a blanket. I'm being sued by a customer becuase the tape on fakro windows has baked on and pretty much destroyed the windows - even they dont know how to remove it. Surely they just shouldnt fit this crap to the windows as its a very common problem ....

i don't see any manufacturing fault unless it's not to put on the notice that it should be removed when it is fitted.

i can see you have a problem but I see it as the customer's fault. Windows are obviously not designed to be left plastered with stickers.

Do you mean left plastered with stickers that they put on in the first place ? The job was delayed 8 weeks and the windows are now beyond repair. Its normal to remove the film after the windows are plastered in and painting has finished ....

If they had put on a warning that said "please be aware that if these windows have been left anywhere thats a bit warmer than a fridge at any point (and that includes on the long journey from poland befre you even got them) then this film will be stuck here forever" then Id agree ...... but they didnt .....

OK Nige, I han't got the whole story. thought customers had let them get baked on after installation.

In that case I'll swivel 180 o and say " Yes, Fakro are obviously at fault " :D

But from my time in industry, I would expect them to pick up all costs for full replacement with (more or less ) grace as they are obviously at fault. Is this not the case ?

Hi Benway - did you try the petrol and did it work? If so do you think 98 Octane will be faster than 95 lol?

Seriously I have a major major problem, or rather the client I am working for does. The external windows on my project which face south/east/west have the same problem as many have mentioned, the p/film is baked on, cracked, brittle and just wont come off without endless hours of treatment and with solvents and scrapers. One sample has destroyed the frame with scratches, the samples using solvents take like 10 hours per frame...now here's the real problem, we have quite a few apartments and this problem could break his bank if he needs to replace every window...the delay was caused by the project being stopped for 2 years. Also every apartment has floor to ceiling windows and doors looking over the sea and will cost a fortune to replace.

Please let me know asap if anybody found any solutions to this problem!!

Thanks

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back