Radiator not working (photos supplied)

Sponsored Links
That is not a system boiler by the look if it and connecting the rad there is incorrect.A tee into an existing rad flow/return would work.A better description of the system would help ie whats in the airing cupboard? Pump,cyl,zone valves etc.

you don't say what the boiler is running on. 's'plan 'y' plan or just radiators,
So, the boiler has to have a circuit, lets say its on a curcuit with just rads on. turn off all the other rads and the pump will push the air into your new rad and there you will be able to vent it,

In response to 45yearsagasman

OK I thought a system boiler was one which only served the radiators and heated the water in the cylinder? What sort of boiler is this then as it is not doing DHW so it can't be a combi.

In the airing cupboard is a cylinder with Grundfos Pump (Is this a circulating pump?).

Also why would this not work, surely these two pipes out the top of the boiler are the main flow and return pipes, so connecting here would be no different than connecting to the flow and returns from another rad?

Hope this sheds more light on the subject

Sponsored Links
Boiler is a heat only boiler , but not of the systems type , a systems boiler is generally sealed . & has the pump ect inside the casing !!

For the radiator to work it needs to have 1 pipe after the pump , positive flow , the other will be the return , it would appear that ?? the flow pipe to your rad is on the wrong side of the pump ???? or am I not seeing it right ??

In response to 45yearsagasman

OK I thought a system boiler was one which only served the radiators and heated the water in the cylinder? What sort of boiler is this then as it is not doing DHW so it can't be a combi.

In the airing cupboard is a cylinder with Grundfos Pump (Is this a circulating pump?).

Also why would this not work, surely these two pipes out the top of the boiler are the main flow and return pipes, so connecting here would be no different than connecting to the flow and returns from another rad?

Hope this sheds more light on the subject

Its a heat only boiler and you've connected the rad in the wrong place. Needs to be after the pump or it wont circulate.

Ok thanks, I am getting somwhere here.

Didn't realise a system boiler contained the pump as well, thats good to know.

So as 45yearsagasman says, if I connect to the flow and return pipes of an existing radiator then this should allow for correct circulation.

Thanks again to all who posted.

You have connected the rad apparently in parallel with the boiler. It needs to be in parallel with all the other radiators.

The returns from the heating should be commoned prior to connecting to the main primary return to the boiler ?? if it stays as is umay find that you have to turn this rad off in the summer so as to prevent reverse circulation to the heating circuit ??? Maybe ??

Sorry 45 yearsagasman had already answered the question in his post !!

:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back