extra landline for business

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need an extra landline dedicated for business use. Basically I want to know whether calls to my home are business related so that I can answer the phone appropriately. Is there any device or system to allow a different ring tone (via a different number) or allow the caller to select an option which then switches to an extension? I must admit I'm asking you experts because I can't face a call to a BT helpline in Calcutta and I know my simple request will be wrapped up in some expensive package I don't need or can't afford.

Your advice much appreciated

Steve

Sponsored Links
You have a few options.

You could just buy a second completely independent phone line, but this is a relatively expensive option since you will have to pay for installation, line rental and if you want a calling package on the second line you'll have to pay for that too. If you are the only person in the household it's probablly not worth it.

BT also offer a service called "call sign" for £2.59 per month which gives you a second phone number on the same line with a different ringing pattern. Note that you may need to think about what sort of phone you use on the line as some digital cordless phones will ring in the same way regardless of the ringing pattern being sent on the line.

Another option if you have broadband is VOIP, you can get a VOIP desk phone relatively cheaply and use it with an internet based VOIP provider. The reliability often isn't as good as with a conventional phone line though.

Thanks Plugwash

The BT option doesn't sound too bad and sounds just what I need.

Again many thanks

Steve

If you use BT Call Sign you can't present the call sign number as outgoing caller line identification, so anyone who uses caller display or 1471 will obtain your personal number, and probably use it to call you back.

You won't be able to have a separate message for business use on 1571 call minder voicemail.

You could have a separate answering machine if you can find one that responds to call sign (distinctive ringing) or BT used to do a Call Sign Switch with two sockets on the front, one rang on ordinary ringing and the other rang on call sign ringing on an incoming call.

You may have problems keeping the call sign number if you move house, or want to port to another supplier.

Sponsored Links
or BT used to do a Call Sign Switch with two sockets on the front, one rang on ordinary ringing and the other rang on call sign ringing on an incoming call.

picture for reference
bt%20call%20sign%20switch.gif

I use sipgate.co.uk, cost £40 for an adapter to make a normal phone work with it, then no subscription, free to receive calls and cheap as chips to make them. It keeps a log of all calls, you can text back mobile numbers, set up voicemail and call forwarding in a few clicks and I have a number (for life, it seems) with my local area code. All accessed via a web page. You can also make a receive calls with a software phone (like skype, but cheaper) as well as with a normal phone plugged into the adapter (which then plugs into your broadband router). The computer doesn't need to be on to make and receive calls. Call quality sometimes drops but it's not been a problem so far, I have virgin 10mb cable connection although in reality its more like 2mb.

I also use Sipgate and Gradwell VoIP, VoIP should work fine even on 'slow' broadband speeds provided the latency isn't too bad and there isn't much else using the conection at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back