Cutting Dado trunking lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best tool for cutting this stuff?

I've had the best success with the main parts by slowly feeding through a table saw, but is there a faster way to chop of pieces of lid?

Maybe some kind of guillotine?

Sponsored Links
I use a jig saw.

For MT trunking a pair of tin snips is perfect. With Dado trunking it's thicker and snips would deform / not cut correctly between the thin and thick bits of lid.

A fine finish TCT bladed chop saw and table for the trunking and the lid.

Sponsored Links
If i've got a lot of this stuff to cut I usually use a chop saw with a blade thats suitable for plastic cutting.
Gets it straight as a dye everytime, quick and simple.

Im also lazy btw :LOL:

a manual mitre saw, my chopsaw is a bit beastly for trunking lid though but if i had alot to do i would prob get a small £30 chop saw for the task, after all it isnt doing any strenuous work. :)

If i've got a lot of this stuff to cut I usually use a chop saw with a blade thats suitable for plastic cutting.
Gets it straight as a dye everytime, quick and simple.

Im also lazy btw :LOL:

Yep, you can't beat it.

It has to be the quickest and cleanest way to do it.

just a hacksaw...

Perhaps for a couple cuts - not if your doing a room or rooms!

for a year and a half, myself, my mate and the 2 older sparkies we were working for were re-furbishing Worcester Royal Infirmary, most of which entailed changing old wards and the canteen into office space and consulting rooms, all of which had 3 compartment dado trunking in it..

the cuts don't need to be neat or even perfectly straight if you use the right trunking, the stuff we were using ( MK Prestige stuff IIRC ) had joint pieces with covers and pre-made corners etc so every cut was hidden....

MK_extendeddado.jpg
MK_vct144whi.jpg
MK_vp185.jpg

there must have been about 2 miles of the stuff

And you cut it all with a hacksaw? Good god!

I always use clip on covers and pref fab tees.

You still want your mitres to be neat. Thats called pride.

hacksaw leaves a rough edge that you need to quickly run a file oer (or your fingers) to remove the swarf. A chop saw leaves the cut as clean as a factory end.

If you seriously did over 2 miles of the stuff and did not use anything other than a hacksaw then I really do pitty you!

We use Marshall Tufflex EMT20 for the majority of installs.

the corners are pre-made with their own covers so they were always perfect.. we only ever had to make straight cuts and a cheap mitre box from the DIY sheds took care of that..

the "fur" you talk about is easily taken care of with a stanley knife or a scraper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back