Power to Shed from Fused Spur in Garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked through the posts and would just like to propose the following for my set up and check if this would seem correct before I get the work done.

I am planning on just a couple of Flour. lights and perhaps 2 double sockets in the shed.

1) Would either 4mm or 6mm SWa be suitable for this application from the fused spur to the shed ? and
2) Should the shed have RCD protection in addition to the fused spur and main CU in the house, or is there no need ?
3) The only possible addition at a later date might be low power lighting for the decking area.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally the circuit should be run straight from the CU to shed with no RCD protection needed prior to the Shed CU, then a RCD unit will be required.

The shed is about 25 - 28 metres from the spur (this being the cable route). If not 4mm or 6mm SWa, then which would be a suitable cable / method ?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
.....before I get the work done.
Probably the size your electrician decides.

What you need to decide is if you want it supplied from a spur, so limited to 13A and with the RCD protection for the shed in the house, or on its own circuit from the unprotected side of the CU, or on a switchfuse, so that you aren't limited to 13A and don't have that RCD issue.

Haven't yet decided on the electrician hence my enquiry.

I prefer to have some insight as to the work that is being undertaken in order that there are no cross wires (excuse the pun) when it begins, as I'm sure many responsible homeowners would.

I would be concerned if the fused spur is the suggested supply (very accessible in terms of wiring route options) if it isn't suitable for the applications I mentioned in my first post.

Would appreciate any further thoughts from others out there, Thanks

If I was you, I would as BAS had said and I indicated earlier, Run 4.00mm SWA from house CU with no RCD protection off a 32A MCB.
Then install small garage CU with 30ma RCD 6A MCB for lights and 20A MCB for sockets, in shed.
This will allow for any future upgrades, in the region of 7.4kw.

Alternate plan, and if you are infact getting a spark in to do this would be to get three quotes, ask the chaps or chapettes which way they plan on doing the job and come back with their replys, the one with the most agreements is the right choice. Surely this is the best method as we cannot see the job and they will be able to guage it better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back