MIRA ZEST - Flood, gushing out water from base!! HELP.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody offer some advice?

I came home today to find that my shower had been gushing water (probably for hours) from the base of the shower! Flooded downstairs :(

I have read online that this may be related to a PRD (pressure relief device).
I have looked on the spares website and this PRD is not listed for this shower? Mira Zest (current).

Im assuming that the part is called something else?

If anyone has any advice about which part I could order, and whether its easy to replace, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the prd is part of the outlet pipe on the later zest.

they retail about £3.
but why was the shower running with no one using the shower or in the house ?

sounds like you have a fault solenoid as well.

Thanks for the reply.

The shower wasnt running - but water was just gushing out of the bottom of the box for some reason!? I had to turn the water supply off to stop it.

So would a new solenoid and PRD be straight forward to replace?

Any ideas what I need to order?

either the solenoid has falied or the diaphragm.
check the solenoid with a multi meter for resistance.
good reading is 3.4 kohms or above.
if it's open circuit its a solenoid coil failed retail about £15
if the solenoid proves ok then the flow regulators at fault retail about £26

Sponsored Links
there is a a plastic clamp/bracket where the mains water connects to the shower which are prone to cracking allowing the o ring seal to leak , turn off water and elec to shower before taking front cover off to check .only a small part mira should stock it . isolate water and elec to shower and dont use till youve sourced a new clamp, shower will be fine once dry

Sure enough - having removed the cover, the plastic clamp you mention has indeed cracked.
Looks like I will need to invest in some STAR shaped screw bits too.
Thanks for the advice. :)

It sound like you have could have high water pressure, is it 5 bar max for most electric showers?

I had the same problem, on mira sport, the clamp twice split due to high pressure on main water. Checked pressure and it is 7.5 bars.
Had to fit PRV to reduce the pressure to 2.5 bars, that was done 3 years ago and still work ok.

I don't think that shower can work on up to 10 bars. Brass fitting, yes, cheap plastic, no.

I alway fit PRV if the pressure is too high for new shower and set it 3 bars. I don't trust those shower which can work up to 10 bars.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back