No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help. For the third time in 2 months I have no hot water, although my central heating is working fine. On the previous occasions I have called British Gas under 3-star agreement. The first time the guy said it was air in the pipes and fixed it in 5 mins, the second time it took longer to fix and apparently was not just air but also hydrogen caused by corrosion. The engineer said it may happen again as my boiler was so old - it is a Potterton and is at least 20 yrs old. He recommended a new boiler and a powerflush.
Is he right or does he just want to make a sale? Is there anything I can do short-term to fix the problem. And lastly how much should a new boiler and powerflush cost me -
it is a bog-standard boiler (not combi) in a 3-bedroom house
Thanks

regarding cost please see 9

Sponsored Links
You have had your moneys worth out of a 20 yr old boiler, and any expense on it will be false economy. :(

My opinion is to look around for a new boiler. Local Corgis should be a lot cheaper than BG.
Have it flushed and buy a decent boiler :D

I had a job similar to this lately and it was all down to the old pump dragging air into the system.Characterized on its subsequent removal by having rusty red sludge inside it instead of black. Doubt its down to hydrogen after such a short time.
Re old boilers.
Everyone has their own opinion on this but I have a 23 yo Thorn Olympic that I am going to keep fixing till I cant get no more parts for it. It had a leak 20 yrs ago that I left a bowl under for so long it actually healed itself up. I only service it when I see a yellow flame [3 times in 19 years]. Its had one gas valve £50 and one thermocouple £5 in the 19 years I have lived here. It bangs like a B*****d on water only if its not set right. Yet it still bops away and does its job.
My bills average out at <£320 a year for a small detached house with both thermostats and cavity wall insulation. So assuming a 20% improvment from fitting a SEDBUK A or B boiler that works out at £64 a year I pay more in gas
So if I was to Buy a cheap ravenheat from B[NFN]Q for £520 and assuming a lifespan of ten years and in that ten years I only replace the pump say £60 and the ignition PCB £135 trade I can save £2 a year over 10 years by leaving the old olympic where it is and pay for another thermocouple and gas valve without having the added work of fitting a new boiler!!!
PS cant get back here tomorrow to read any follow ups cos believe it or not I'm off to do my energy efficiency course!!

I'm with Slugbabydotcom but then we can both keep our home boilers ticking over for peanuts you may not be in this happy situation ! In which case I would suggest getting your system flushed and and have your system checked out for design failings - pumps that suck air etc etc and etc - then maybee getting a suitable new boiler

Sponsored Links
Thorn Olympic 38/50F coming up to 20 years old and still going strong. Replaced pilot light thermocouple 5 times, fan 3 times, pressure switch once, PCB/controller once. Difficult to see how BG could make it more economical. Enjoy those baths and showers before UK/Norway run out of gas.

I know a laundrette which uses an Ideal CH501 central heating boiler to directly heat the water for the washing machines.

The boiler was made during 1970 making it 36 years old !

It burns about £1500 worth of gas a year !

However its a low water content modulating boiler with finned copper heat exchanger and as efficient as any non condensing boiler available now.

Tony

oldboilerman said:
Thorn Olympic 38/50F coming up to 20 years old and still going strong. Replaced pilot light thermocouple 5 times, fan 3 times, pressure switch once, PCB/controller once. Difficult to see how BG could make it more economical. Enjoy those baths and showers before UK/Norway run out of gas.

Hi Old Boiler Man
Any idea on how to get hold of a replacement heat exchanger for this Thorn model. Easy to fit ?? Any advice ??
Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back