Removing a brick pantry/larder from 50's purpose built flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just purchased my first property and need some help with a brick pantry in the corner of the kitchen that seriously limits the scope for a new kitchen.

I understand the floors between the flats are concrete so it is likely that the walls of the pantry (about 60-70cm square) will not be load bearing? If I can get this confirmed it it just a case of removing it brick by brick from the top?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
It's highly unlikely that a small pantry will be be a load bearing wall for a concrete floor in a purpose built block of flats.

Thanks Stuart,

I'll certainly check though. I just thought there might be a chance it is load bearing especially if there is an identical layout above.

Concrete floors are re-inforced and span across to the bearing walls. The partition walls are built later and are not load bearing. One of the advantages of a concrete floor is that alterations are easier than with a timber floor where many of the walls are load bearing.
Even a wall above it does not mean that it's load bearing.

Sponsored Links
Concrete floors are re-inforced and span across to the bearing walls. The partition walls are built later and are not load bearing. One of the advantages of a concrete floor is that alterations are easier than with a timber floor where many of the walls are load bearing.
Unless they are beam and block concrete floors or widespan hollowcore floors or the clay pot type concrete floors that span onto load bearing masonry..
Only way to know for sure is either get the original drawings or so some destructive investigation..

Unless they are beam and block concrete floors or widespan hollowcore floors or the clay pot type concrete floors that span onto load bearing masonry..
Only way to know for sure is either get the original drawings or so some destructive investigation..

Can you say if any of these are more likely in a 50's build?

If you want to be certain, take some plaster away and expose the top of the wall. If the wall was built later it will probably have a mortar joint at the top where it was pinned to the ceiling and be non load bearing.

If you want to be certain, take some plaster away and expose the top of the wall. If the wall was built later it will probably have a mortar joint at the top where it was pinned to the ceiling and be non load bearing.
Agreed..
And 50s houses were built from all kinds of construction.. was post war building boom..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back