getting rid of old pentry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First post for me and I need to say I appreciate all the advice on this website, it has helped me alot with the renovations to my new house, especially with plastering etc!

There are many threads about removing walls and lintels, I was unsure where to post this.
See the images below

One is of under the stairs, I would like to remove the wall to the left (which is the old pantry and brick up the door in the kitchen to the pantry, making the lounge bigger.

It looks like I can do this if I leave a pillar 1.5 bricks wide to support the landing of the stairs?
Above this wall is the bathroom which only has a stud wall, which we are also moving to make the bathroom bigger. The house ceiling joists run left to right.

I'm guessing we need to put a lintel from the top of the pillar to the left (main wall). The kitchen is actually built onto the back of the house so the kitchen door is in the main wall

View media item 25039View media item 25040 (older pic)

The other thing is the fireplace, we've ripped out an old cast iron back boiler and the bricks down the left and right. I was thinking of adding an oak beam or something, unsure exactly what to do. The picture shows a temporary lintel I pushed in for support as there wasn't one.
The back of the fireplace seems to be built up with bricks which support loads of cement packed inside the chimney - the chimney just has a narrow passage up the middle, bending to the right.

What's best for a fireplace, a flat lintel? It's going to be 2 bricks lower than the current lintel. For the beam, we can't hack out a row or bricks as the front chimney breast is only 1 brick thick....

View media item 25038
Appreciate all advice given, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hi, your post is a little unclear - probably why no one has responded yet.

I suggest you try again, perhaps in two posts, one for the pantry and the other the fireplace. As for the photos of the pantry, try to get a photo of new from the same position as old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back