Knock through supporting wall inc unused chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give a rough idea of costs for the above.

The wall is between my dining room and kitchen and there is about a 3 inch step down into the kitchen.

There is a chimney breast between the two rooms also but this is unused.

Whats involved in the job and is it an expensive one? Also wondering what people would do about the step down?

Many thanks
Gav

Sponsored Links
From a structural perspective, the chimney would probably have to be taken out all the way to the roof void or first floor where it would need to be supported on a beam - or taken out entirely. You also need a steel beam to support the wall above, between kitchen and dining room. I have known some people make a really nice feature fireplace in the chimney and just knock through one or either side.

From a structural perspective, the chimney would probably have to be taken out all the way to the roof void or first floor where it would need to be supported on a beam - or taken out entirely. You also need a steel beam to support the wall above, between kitchen and dining room. I have known some people make a really nice feature fireplace in the chimney and just knock through one or either side.
littlepigeon said:
Can the chimney not be supported on an rsj so just be knocked out on the ground floor?
Urm yes.. as said already.. it can be but will depend on wall layout at ground floor level and span/load on beam..

Sponsored Links
littlepigeon said:
Can the chimney not be supported on an rsj so just be knocked out on the ground floor?
Urm yes.. as said already.. it can be but will depend on wall layout at ground floor level and span/load on beam..

Urm... Thanks :rolleyes:

Was not said already, it was said that it needed to be removed right into the loft space. Which is why i asked the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back