Garage Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
Ive ben doing a bit of researching and want to check if Im right.

Not long moved into a house and the garage wiring isnt great so starting again.

Ive done a rough drawing which is saved on "My Albums" on here.
//www.diynot.com/network/adkemp/albums/6508/26178
or

Anyway I wish to get the majority of the wiring done myself before getting an Electrician to connect back to the main CU in the house.

I intend to put a 6-way CU in the garage running:-
5x twin sockets
1x outside single socket
1x second outside single socket
3x strip lights
1x outside light.
+ I would also like to run power out to my shed at a later date so need to design this in now.

I know all outside cable has to be SWA.

Currently it looks like they have run 2.5mm T&E through trunking to a double socket. Light is connnected via a normal 3-pin plug. :(

Pleae could you look at my diagram and see if Ive got it right.
Im not too sure which CU to buy.
Split Load / Normal?
MCD's / RCBO's

I can then mount all the sockets and lights and cable back to the CU ready for the Sparky.

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi
If you are refering to the 2 oudoor sockets.
I thought it might be safest to keep them on there own fuses but correct me if im wrong.
Also would allow me to switch off the outside plugs to stop anyone using them without me knowing as one will be at the front of the house :)

Sorry just re-read your message.

I thought this is how you should wire in the ring'd circuits.
Am I mistaken?

Sponsored Links
How about:

1) 20A RCBO radial for garage sockets, with switched spur(s) for your outside sockets to prevent ****** nicking your electricity after dark.
If you use a radial, you can run sockets down both the long sides without having to bother about the return leg of the ring, and add more easily if needed.

2) 6A MCB radial for lights (no RCD unless TT or cable routing demands, in which case use an RCBO).

3) Spare way for future shed supply.

4) Spare way.

Unless that's not sufficient for your current demands - depends what you're planning on getting up to in there.

Oh right.
Can you elaborate?
Like I said I just want to ge the basics mounted and run until I get a Sparky in.

Sorry if that was terse: thing is in a garage (or anywhere else) there are lots of factors to be taken into consideration, and your sparky will have his own ideas - so I recommend you run your designs past him until he's happy to accept liability for it.
He won't go for what you've outlined. e.g. Ring final must be on 32A, sockets for outside should not be on 10A, no need for 10A for one outside light. RCD requirements will apply at least to sockets, 63A for shed opens up a whole new can of design worms beyond my expertise, so I won't advise on that. Exporting earth from main supply, etc etc...

Anyway I wish to get the majority of the wiring done myself before getting an Electrician to connect back to the main CU in the house..... I can then mount all the sockets and lights and cable back to the CU ready for the Sparky.
It doesn't work like that.

The electrician has to sign to say HE did the design, HE did the installation and HE did the testing.

It's not impossible to find an electrician who will let you do some of the donkey-work, particularly digging any trenches, cutting chases etc, but just diving in, doing what you think is OK (particularly as you don't know enough) and then hoping he'll turn up and take responsibility for it just isn't going to happen.

Also supplying the CU yourself is a bad idea as the electrician will be able to get it for less than you can.

OK guys understood.
I guess I will have to just get him to do it.
Thanks for all your inputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back