saunier duval - thelia 23 new PCB? or pulling a fast one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, one morning last week my boiler had a pilot light but when hot water was called the flame would not increase in size and no hot water as a result. i turned it off and i dont think it will now light, the started button is tough and no clicking sound like it used too.

Now i know no one will be able to diagnose this but had a repairman out and he said

" no voltage to pump or zig spark gen" = new PCB
"no resitale (bad writing might be the wrong word) on resistor (fan), requires replacing"

"new PCB and zig spark gen = £270 +VAT

cannot guarentee boiler will work until these are replaced.

Now last time it went wrong they tried to charge for a new PCB when all that needed was the fan to be cleaned. seem they all try and replace the PCB. is that an alright price for this work?

Does it sound like a faulty PCB? cani ask him to jsut try the spark generator first and see if it works while i watch? was gonna get someone lese out but another £80 just to be told the same thing seems a waste.

am i being too dubious about this gas guy and should i trust him more? loads of quesiotns which you may not be able to help but any ideas welcome.

thanks in advance

Welsh

Sponsored Links
true, but if i do get someone else and its the same its £80 wasted. suppose it my choice on the way forward.

You might want to consider replacing the boiler with a modern reliable steamer sucjh as remeha or vaillant the old thelia is a pig!! ;)

Sponsored Links
quite simple really. Ask him if he'll guarantee that this will cure the problem, ie no fix no pay. If not then get someone else. Personally I'd be reluctant to spend much money on this boiler, its a turd. The safer option would be to contact Glowworm for a fixed price repair, aprx £250.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back