wetcast application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as above.

do you need to put a backing coat on then throw the chips on, or can they be thown onto the scratch coat as they have been mixed in the muck?

thanx

Sponsored Links
yes mate by rights you throw into a butter coat,same principle as dry dash,exept yove got a bit of gear in with the stone.

Thanx for clearing that up.

Got my base coat on (powerwall), and plan to finish it in the next few days but something i hadnt though of was controling the suction before puting on my top coat.

I know with sand and cement a wet down would do. Could i do the same with this or use an external waterproof pva.

thanx

The last rough casting job I did I used a 6-1-1 mix for the scratch, and gave it a bit of a wetting before putting on my 6-1-1 mix butter coat then threw the r/cast on to that. You don't want to kill the suction for r/casting. Have a look at my photos on my album.. ;)

Sponsored Links
The last rough casting job I did I used a 6-1-1 mix for the scratch, and gave it a bit of a wetting before putting on my 6-1-1 mix butter coat then threw the r/cast on to that. You don't want to kill the suction for r/casting. Have a look at my photos on my album.. ;)
is it ok to use waterproofer in the scratchcoat while roughcasting roy? or will that kill the suction to much?

is it ok to use waterproofer in the scratchcoat while roughcasting roy? or will that kill the suction to much?
I've never tried it with w/proofer steve and have used same mix for scratch as buttercoat, and 4-2-1-1 for the wet dash mix... It might be ok with w/proofer, maybe one of the lads has tried it and will let us know.. ;)

I've never tried it with w/proofer steve and have used same mix for scratch as buttercoat, and 4-2-1-1 for the wet dash mix... It might be ok with w/proofer, maybe one of the lads has tried it and will let us know.. ;)
4-2-1-1 is that sand-cement-lime- aggregate? :)

4-2-1-1 is that sand-cement-lime- aggregate? :)
stones-sand-cement-lime, steve ;) I sometimes put a wee smidgen of sbr into the mix if I have any in the van but thats just my preference mucka...

I deleted the reply here about dry dash, to avoid confusion with wet dash!!! :LOL:

For dry dash (roughcasting), you would "always" use waterprofer in the scratchcoat. You don't want there to be "any" suction on the wall when you put on the top coat ready for the chips. If the scratch coat has suction, and even though you wet it thoroughly before putting on the top coat, the top coat will tighten up before you can throw the chips/dash into it, causing them to bounce of of the mortar, rather than penetrate/stick into it.
So to reflect,,,, I would always use a waterproofer in the scratch coat, plus give the scratch coat a good soak down, and allow to drain off before putting on the top coat.

Hi rc, steve was on about if you could put w/proofer in the scratch for wet dashing but I myself have never used it in the scratch (because of killing the suction) what do you think mucka? ;)

For dry dash (roughcasting), you would "always" use waterprofer in the scratchcoat. You don't want there to be "any" suction on the wall when you put on the top coat ready for the chips. If the scratch coat has suction, and even though you wet it thoroughly before putting on the top coat, the top coat will tighten up before you can throw the chips/dash into it, causing them to bounce of of the mortar, rather than penetrate/stick into it.
So to reflect,,,, I would always use a waterproofer in the scratch coat, plus give the scratch coat a good soak down, and allow to drain off before putting on the top coat.

Hi rc, steve was on about if you could put w/proofer in the scratch for wet dashing but I myself have never used it in the scratch (because of killing the suction) what do you think mucka? ;)

Your right Roy,, ""NO waterproofer in the scratchcoat"" for WET DASH. You "need the suction" to absorb/hold the wet dash, without it slumping.

cheers i done it it training years ago but have never done it for real its becoming a distant memory now, all i can remember is throwing the wet dash on the walls i cant remember the mix ratios :)

So is it the same deal with using a powerwall base coat?

Powerwall advise using one of their primers but its expensive.

So should i wet or use external pva?

Thanx External, so i can scratch one day and go over it the next and it wont dry as i trowel on?

going to do it in the morn so will let you know how i get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back