Cable route in wall - replacing spur with extended ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Doing a bit of work in my lounge at the moment, and would like to replace a single double socket on a spur with 2 doubles and 1 single. I figure that the best way to do this is to remove the spur, and extend the ring.
In the attached drawing I have shown in red that the ring enters the room above the door (from the CU which is on the other side of the wall directly above the door), runs along the top of the door, then down the wall to a socket, then exits back up the wall (shown in blue).
The existing spur (in green) then runs down from the socket, under the floor to the spurred socket.
My questions are:
Can I leave the exisiting wiring above the socket although I know it is routed incorrectly? - not sure how I could route it any better without major upheaval!
Can the new returning section from the ring run to one side of the pictured socket, or will it have to be chased deeper to run behind behind the back box?
Am I ok to join the return from the extended ring to the cable shown in blue using a crimped connection, then bury in plaster?
What colour crimp connection is used for 2.5mm T + E - is it the blue sort?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave.

Sponsored Links
How did you know the cable to the ring runs across above the door like that is the plaster off the wall?

How far down from the ceiling is the Red Horizontal run?

How did you know the cable to the ring runs across above the door like that is the plaster off the wall?
The plaster isn't off yet, but I have followed the route with a (admittedly fairly naff) cable detector, - I appreciate the situation may be different when I do remove the plaster.

EDIT: Thinking about it though, as there are plenty of wires hidden on the other side of the wall where the red cable runs horizontally, it may be within 150mm of the ceiling, and I've been getting a confused reading from the detector.

How far down from the ceiling is the Red Horizontal run?
Approximately 300mm below the ceiling.

If you intend to remove the plaster the cable can be run across the wall as long as it's higher up as long as it doesn't run anymore than 150mm from the ceiling as this is in a safe zone.

Also if you are removing the plaster or just chasing out why don't you dispense with the blue cable altogther without a join;

Run one from what is at present the spurred socket to the new single then from that single to the where the blue cable terminates?

Is that do able??

Sponsored Links
If you intend to remove the plaster the cable can be run across the wall as long as it's higher up as long as it doesn't run anymore than 150mm from the ceiling as this is in a safe zone.

Good plan, when I've removed some plaster I'll see if this is feasible - is it acceptable to run this cable horizontally below the ceiling, then turn 90 degress and run vertically downwards even though all the cable is hidden under plaster? Or would I need to place a blanked off outlet at the turn to show where it was?

Also if you are removing the plaster or just chasing out why don't you dispense with the blue cable altogther without a join;

Run one from what is at present the spurred socket to the new single then from that single to the where the blue cable terminates?

Is that do able??

Would rather avoid that if possible, as the cable terminates in a junction box under a newly fitted wooden floor, which I'd like to avoid interfering with!

Ok instead of joining the blue run a new "red" cable straight to the existing spur then onto the new single then from the new single back to socket in your picture is that clear and do able?

Ps I don't like the sound of a junction box that's not accesible

Ok instead of joining the blue run a new "red" cable straight to the existing spur then onto the new single then from the new single back to socket in your picture is that clear and do able?

That sounds like an excellent plan, though I've never terminated to a CU before, but I'm sure all will become obvious! FFS - I should have come and asked here before ordering a ratchet crimping tool this morning!

Ps I don't like the sound of a junction box that's not accesible
Neither do I to be honest, but I didn't think about replacing them before the new floor went down - next time I have access I'll see what can be done to improve the situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back