VA Rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchaced a lighting transformer which has a rating 60VA. Can someone please explane to me what VA means in amps

Sponsored Links
Basically you can run 60w of low voltage with this unit.

The difference between the two ratings of VA and Watts is that the Watts rating encompasses a power factor rating( P.F.), without going into the technical side of it too much when any electrical equipment contains windings it has whats called inductance this property doesn't give a valid power rating as it is dependant on the circuit it is incorporated into hence the VA rating ( apparent power) as opposed to a power rating in watts. Basically any change in inductance will affect the reactance of the circuit and therefore the impedance and this in turn affects the current.
As a general rule of thumb, circuits are normally designed for a P.F. close to 1 (close to but not achieving 1 as this can cause problems in itself but thats another story) or unity power factor so if you say that VA is equal to Watts you aren't far wrong but i'd myself would allow a slight downrating to allow for the P.F.
So as stated above call it 60w but allowing a little derating i'd not put more than 50-55w load on it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both for taking the time to answer my question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back