LV transformer ratings

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

this may be a silly question to some but can someone explain the meaning of the VA rating for low voltage transformers?

I know that the most common sizes for low voltage downlights is 20-60VA which i remember being told that this would be rated for a load of up to 50W.

any advice appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
Multiply volts by amps to give you watts (or more technically VA)

You may as well treat VA and watts the same here to avoid getting too confused, watts is equal to VA multiplyed by power factor if you want be correct

(power factor is a number between 0 and 1, and its the cosine of the phase angles between the current and voltage wave forms... phew...) for resistive loads such as lamps and heaters they are the same waveform and pf=1 for other types of load pf will be lower)

Quote 'borrowed' from home studio thread (here)

thanks RF,

would i be correct in saying that the VA would equal the watts as the lights would be resistve and the voltage/current would be in phase or would the coils of the transformer be enough to cause an inductive effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back