Top half of New Rad Cold despite repeated bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just replaced a working radiator in our lounge with this one http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37557/Plumbing/Designer-Radiators/Oceanus-Duplex-1800-x-445mm-White installed horizontally.

Having refilled the system I have found that the bottom 3 bars heat up fine but the top 3 are completely cold. I have repeatedly bled the radiator but find that only water comes out.

Having drained the system down and removed the cover plugs I can look straight down the columns on the end and can see that the left hand column has what appears to be a washer half way up with a small hole in the middle to allow the water to pass through to the top half of the radiator, whilst the right hand side seems to be completely sealed. Not knowing anything about interior radiator design I have no idea whether this is correct or not. I don't want to spend any more hours draining down the system and refilling if the radiator is faulty but likewise don't want to return the radiator if there is nothing wrong with it.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
If you turn off every other radiator in your house.. does your new radiator get fully hot then?

.. If so, its a balancing problem.

If the radiator still doesn't get hot, I'd recommend phoning up the radiator manufactuers and telling them your queries about the washers in the columns, etc.

Thanks, it still didn't heat up when I turned off all the other radiators so maybe I will need to speak to the manufacturers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Read the review on the screwfix website, could be a manufacturing problem. P.S. did it come with fitting instructions as some rads need to be fitted with the flow to a certain side.

Some radiators require the flow and return connected to the correct ends to function properly. Turning the radiator 'back to front' or reversing the feed and return connections may make a difference.

I have exactly the same problem. I hung the radiator horizontally and no matter what I do, only the bottom three panels get hot.

Have you now solved it? If so, what did you do?

Problem now solved. Screwfix gave me the manufacturers details - , ETS (Agadon Heat and Design - UK agent for ETS) 0845 4505160. I explained the problem and they said that the valves do not have to be fitted at any particular end and that the radiator was most likely faulty. They are delivering a replacement on Tuesday and collecting the faulty one at the same time. Excellent service!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back