Best cable detector available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bog standard Stanley stud detector which is supposed to pick up metal and AC/DC cables in the wall, however I found to my sincere displeasure that it doesn't do what it says on the tin and I ended up drilling through a light switch cable which unlike the majority of other cables in the hotel in which I work which all go into the wall cavities, has actually been chased up the wall.

I have put haz tape over the hole that I drilled as the lights still seem to work and I am going to contact an electrician at some point this morning to discuss further, but for now I could use some recommendations for a new detector as this one clearly does not work as it's supposed to.

All I really need it to detect is live cables, capping and pipes, but I need one that will work.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
In my experience without going into serious money none of them really work properly all the time. To be honest dilligent checking of possible pipe runs is more effective and your detector can be used as a double check.

Cables are easy as unless wired by an idiot they will eminate horizontally or vertically from sockets/ switches and if you hit one outside these zones the owner of the building should be a bit more willing to take on some responsibility.

Yeah the cable was diagonal from the switch for whatever reason, and it will get sorted, I just need to try and minimise the chance of it happening again.

How serious is serious moneywise and do you have any examples?

Tnx

Sponsored Links
there is a jump in these gizmo's from lots available at 30-60 quid and then more professional surveying tools at 300 plus.

i.e. bosch dmf zoom 50 quid

bosch d tect 450 quid

there is a jump in these gizmo's from lots available at 30-60 quid and then more professional surveying tools at 300 plus.

i.e. bosch dmf zoom 50 quid

bosch d tect 450 quid

That's because one is a simple electronic detector and the other is a penetrating radar device.

I got the Bosch dmf zoom, and it was very good. It performs better in detecting cables/wires if there's no current running through them, or so I found. ie. it's detecting the metal and not the current, which tends to be inaccurate.

My bosch DMF is as good as trash. I don't even bother carrying it in my tool kit any more.

My bosch DMF is as good as trash. I don't even bother carrying it in my tool kit any more.

Do you calibrate it each time you use it? They can be very tempramental, especially with temperature, but if you calibrate it by holding down the 2 outside buttons while it's switched off, then they're actually pretty good for the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back