Cable & earth query on low energy downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is .75mm cable ok for low energy downlights?

Also, the loop in/out connector on the fire proof casing has 6 points (3 per side, labeled Live Earth & Neutral, naturally!) So presume each side is just an in and out for the continuous cable? But does the earth not need to ground somewhere on the casing or something... where does it go once reaches the end of the line?

Sponsored Links
I wondered that, but when I grabbed the connector to wire the first one up it came off of the metal side strip it was attached to, so I looked to see if the earth wire/connector would touch the strip when fixed back on, but no sign!

...it actually says 'provision for earth connection' so presume not 100% necessary?

Sponsored Links
When you say metal side strip, is it a slim piece of metal that whent into the terminal? If so then that would provide the earth.

are the units marked as double insulated

Just checked, yes L& N double insulated.

The earth connector casing definitely doesn't touch the metal strip which carries the connectors.

Is .75mm cable ok for low energy downlights?

I would say no, as 524.1 states the following:

The cross-sectional area of each conductor in an a.c. circuit or of a conductor in a d.c. circuit shall be not less than the values given in Table 52.3, except as provided for extra-low voltage lighting installations according to Regulation 559.11.5.2.

Table 52.3 states the minimum CSA for sheathed and non-sheathed cables in power and lighting circuits to be 1.0mmsq. The use of 0.75mmsq conductors would only be permitted with flexible connections, which I would not personally consider fixed wiring to be.

are the units marked as double insulated

Just checked, yes L& N double insulated.

The earth connector casing definitely doesn't touch the metal strip which carries the connectors.

OK so if its got the square in a square symbol the actual casing does not need to be earthed and they appear to have provided a terminal where you can just daisy chain the earths together instead of using some block or just taping up.

only be permitted with flexible connections

What are these? I've already used .75 now, an electrician said it'd be ok.

I haven't got my regs book in front of me right now so can't check to see if there is a specific definition, but I would interpret it to mean flexible cords used to supply portable appliances. Certainly, 1.0mmsq is quite specifically stated in table 52.3 to be the minimum CSA required for lighting and power circuits.

Your house isn't likely to burst into flames because of it, mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back