Water circularing in cylinder/noisy pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've been reading various posts but cannot find the answer to what is driving me nuts.

When the hot water comes on, you can hear what sounds like air working it's way round the hot water cylinder and round the system and when it reaches the pump, the pump makes a god aweful grinding loud noise for a few seconds and then goes away, usually coming back after a while. I've got hot water, all taps work fine with no air splutter, all the radiators are nice and toasty, timers for heating and water work well and come on and go off as expected. I've tried bleeding the radiators, the taps, the radiator connected to the hot water, but cannot get this noise to disappear.

I can't pinpoint when this started to occur, think it's been for a couple of years probably, biut seems to be worse since I've been messing about with it. I've had radiators off for painting and recently replaced the mid position valve as the washer in it had perished causing the heating to be on when the water was being heated.. I'm guessing I've got some air still trapped but cannot find a way to extract it. I''ve bled the radiators, opened the big screw on the pump (get a trickle of water and not sure if it should pour out?) Oh, the noise only happens on the hot water, not if the central heating is the only thing on. Changing the speed of the pump didn't help really. Set to 3, it is loud, 2 it's a bit quieter, 1 makes it far more frequent.

The house was built in 1990, the boiler is a Potterton Neater heat 35e, the pump is a grundfos one, the mid position valve and the stat in the hall is Drayton and the stat round the cylinder is a honeywell.Looks like the honeywell stat was changed at some point, I've been here 4.5 years but there are fitting instructions in the airing cupboard, I replaced the mid position valve like for like. In the loft there is the water tank with the smaller header tank, each has what I beleive to be a vent pipe, the main tank has it coming from the water cylinder, the smaller tank from next to the grundfos pump. If I'm correct from what I've read, this would make the system an indirect open vented type.

Any experience on how to fix this would be welcomed. I can provide any other info if I've missed anything out.

Pete

Sponsored Links
have you a bleed vent on the flow pipe to the cylinder from the 3 port valve ?

have you a bleed vent on the flow pipe to the cylinder from the 3 port valve ?
No, the pipe from the heater outlet side of the 3 port goes straight in to the middle of the cylinder with no bleed valve. I did wonder if I could fit one of those automatic bleed valves and also wondered if I could, where it should go.... guess you might have just answered that.

you can fit one or a manual one.
blr23.jpg

fit on the highest point between the 3 port and cylinder.

you can try turning off the system let it cool slacken the nut a few turns to the 3 port.
place a towel underneath and pull the pipe slightly see if any air releases.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, I'll get one tomorrow and see if I can fix the problem.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back