Humming noise in hot water system since new cylinder fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leak on one of my pipe from the hot water cylinder and plumber was unable to get the attachment off to replace so new cylinder was needed. All went ok for a couple days and now everytime we have used hot water for approx 10 mins or if our heating has been on for approx half an he we get this humming noise almost sounds like an aeroplane flying over lol. It sounds as if it is coming from our airing cupboard. When the noise has been happening I have opened airing cupboard door and can hear water running through the pipes and a loud vibrating sounds around the mid position valve. I have bleed the radiators and the pump all seems fine any other ideas? I've already spent £500 don't really want to spend anymore as it was just a small leak that started this. Any ideas would be great thanks x

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have air trapped in the coil of the cylinder perhaps.
Ease the nut holding the hot water flow heating the tank up and waggle
the pipe to see if any air comes out.
Don't open the nut off completely just enough to loosen the connection to allow it to leak air and water.

It might be a coincidence and you may have a faulty tap washer if noise is only when you use Hot tap. Could also be faulty ballvalve at your header tank. Use hot water, as soon as noise starts, got to your header tank that feeds cylinder and lift ballvalve arm. If noise stops, you need new ballvalve in your tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back