Locking a Timber Back Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new half glazed door fitted to the back of the house. It's not overlooked so could be an easier target for a break-in so I want a good lock. Then someone muttered "multipoint lock".

I've trawled the net and found they can have hooks and/or rollers. Rollers have the advantage in my mind of pulling the door into the frame so it is less likely to warp. I've also spotted ERA do one that isn't a euro profile.

Can anyone advice please?

Sponsored Links
I have fitted a multi point lock to a wooden front door before, (only the once, wish I never said it tbh) had to cut a groove with a router in the door and went for one without roller cams because you cant hide the keeps.

Wether it was any better than putting a piece of metal behind the keep to reinforce the lockplate jamb I dont know.

Slide bolts would also keep the door warp free and combined with a motice lock, yale type latch and steel strip I cant see anyone having an easy time getting in.

A wooden back door? At least it will be better, stronger and cheaper than a plastic one.

mortice rack bolts top and bottom, and a BS sashlock, will do the trick and are easy to fit. A yale is not usual on a back door. Take the keys out when not in use and conceal them on a convenient hook.

I like 3 stainless hinges on an external door.

You can fit a kickstop reinforcer round the lock and at the frame if you think it is not very sturdy. If the door is fitted by a skilled joiner he can probably fit them quicker and neater than you.

If you can afford a hardwood door it will be stronger and last longer than a softwood one. If the doorframe is damaged or poor quality, change that as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back