Under cupboard lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking into getting some lighting for under the kitchen cupboards. Any advice on which ones to get? At the moment I'm looking at a set of satin halogen lights, think I'll need 4 of them. Are there any rules to how far apart they should be fitted? As halogen lights tend to get hot any chance they could fade the worktop (any height distance they need to be away from the worktop) or anything thats needs to be considered about where they are fitted (can they be fitted straight under the cupboards or do they need to be mounted onto something else first)? Have been told of a 100mm rule on fitting halogen lights (does this apply to under cupboard lighting or ceiling lighting?

Sponsored Links
The problem with halogen lighting is there not very good for task lighting (like a worktop).

In my kitchen I have slim flourescent strip lights underneath the cupboards, I think they were only from B & Q.

They have a plug and socket on, you just push them together, I have 4 or 5 i think underneath mine.

In general how much brighter are fluorescent lights than halogen and does the heat from the halogen lights cause any problems (in general or need consideration when fitting)?

In general how much brighter are fluorescent lights than halogen and does the heat from the halogen lights cause any problems (in general or need consideration when fitting)?

The point is that strip fluorescent lighting gives light acrss a wider area than the halogen 'spots'.

As for heat if you don't want to use the oven - use the halogen spots - nice for toast.

Sponsored Links
Get LED strips, tehy are slim, look good, give reasonable light and are cheap to run.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...n_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html

-
LED3CWXXX.JPG

Before you say they are too expensive, just remember how much a kitchen costs. Appliances £2k, units £3k, worktop £2k, fitting £1k and then LED lights £200 !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back