kitchen under cupboard lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi new to this forum but thought i could get some help i am fitting under cupboard light s and want to know if i can fit them to an exsiting socket on the wall the socket has 2 blank switches and two live switches 1 for freezer and one for dish washer so can the lights go in to the blank also where would you hide the transformer as i don't think it would look right under the cupboard any answers

Sponsored Links
Right, firstly, dont fit halogen lights under the cupboards. They are too close to the surface to produce any useful area of light.

Secondly, why are you bothered about what looks right under the cupboards? You wont be able to see it (unless you're a dwarf?) so it wont matter. Go out and buy the ugliest fluorescent strip lights you can see. These DO provide very bright and useful light.

Also, can you post a picture of the accessory you describe on your wall, I cant picture it.

thanks for the reply steve not really bothered if the lights are not that bright as they are mainly for show, as foe the switch its a normal white switch socket but has two blanks and two live switches i was told i could take the blanks out and add switches for the lights

So you have
MKK3634.JPG

With 2 x switches
MKK4891.JPG

And 2 x blanks
MKK4880.JPG

Or is it a different design?

Anyhow, you can remove the blanks, but you will need a fuse module and a switch as well. Lucky you have 2 blanks eh? ;)

And its odd that the spark fitted a 4-way grid plate, when only a 2-way was required. Any reason for this that you know of?

Sponsored Links
the pics are pretty much the same just on the live switches it has freezer and dish washer written on them i presume its so you dont have to pull the appliances out to switch them of as for why 2 blanks i counn't tell you already there when we moved in also when you say fuse module what is this not to gend up on electrics still learning lol

Sounds like 20 a DP switches were used
Possibly twin box used to provide more room for wires
Is it spaced sw / blank /sw / blank or similar

MKK4890.JPG

One fuse module :LOL:

You'll need this to fuse down to supply the switch and lights. You can probably supply it as a spur from one of the existing switches (live side).

While you're shopping, buy a secret key switch for the freezer. This will stop stray hands from accidentally defrosting the freezer. ;)

MKK4917.JPG

Supplied with a couple of keys.

All available from http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nu_Index/Grid_System/Grid_System_3/index.html

If it is this design. Luckily that site has good photos, so dismantle your current switch and see if the modules are the same design.

thats good to know i can spur it cos i was hoping to put the plinth lights in the other blank do you think this will be ok

thats good to know i can spur it cos i was hoping to put the plinth lights in the other blank do you think this will be ok
As I said, to supply one set of lights, you will need two modules - a switch and a fuse. You could use the same fuse module to supply the second switch for the plinth lights, but you dont have space on that grid for another switch. You can use the same switch though if you wish, or have a seperate switch plate altogether.

Alternatively, buy a 6-way grid plate, but these are twice the size of the 4-way. If, as rocky mentioned, the 4-way was used because of lack of space behind, if may become nessecary to use a 6-way anyway, to be able to fit everything in behind.

If you want to be really fancy, and your lights are compatible, you can buy grid dimmers. ;) See that site for details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back