Planning permission - Removing a fireplace??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wall mounting a 42" plasma TV on the firebreast. I have taken down the fire surround and had a gas fitter remove the wall mounted gas fire and capped the gas pipe today.

I want to have the fireplace taken out and put up glass shelves in its place to put my sky receiver, DVD recorder etc... The opening requires widening slightly. I haven't checked the size of the lintel currently in place and am aware this may require replacing with a longer one.

Do I require planning permission of any kind before this is done?

I may add, I do not intend doing the work myself as I would probably bring half the house down :oops:

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Sponsored Links
Are you taking out the entire stack? (above roof) if not then you probably just need building regs

Yup I believe Building regs are all you need for this...

About 10 years ago I moved our fireplace to the left slightly, so it just meant some basic re-routing of the chimney stack....at the time I didn't bother with building regs though.

If you want to be extra safe just contact your local building control office or send them a brief outline of what you plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back