can we have a wiki for replacing a cooker with separates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of houses have an electric cooker point. The question gets asked time and again; how to connect separate hob and oven? From what I have been reading over the last 8 months, 32A CB is typical for 90% of hobs sold and a 16A CB is typical of 90% of ovens (although some allow 13A plug or FCU with 3mm double-pole isolation). A lot of installations are carried out by barely qualified 'installers'. As a consumer, I would like to know what to look for in a good installation.

Considerations would include:
  • single point of isolation above counter
    is it OK to re-use an existing 10sqmm cooker point for both hob and oven?
    concealing CU with 16A and 32A CBs under the counter (no additional isolator?)
    flex/cable from 32A CB to hob
    flex/cable from 16A CB to oven
    does cooker point have 3mm double-pole isolation?
    does switched FCU have 3mm double-pole isolation? (I don't think so)

Sponsored Links
Considerations would include a single point of isolation above counter

I'd like to see seperate switched isolation for each cooking item- single point isn't right when there's seperate items, which could be in different areas on the room. Isn't 2.0m the max distance between unit and isolation for safety / access reason ?

is it OK to re-use an existing 10sqmm cooker point for both hob and oven?

Subject to the usual appliance load, distance, ref method, health test and diversity considerations

concealing CU with 16A and 32A CBs under the counter (no additional isolator?)

Why would you do that, accessable isolation is a safety requirement- converting the 10mm existing feed in to a sub main simply adds extra components to the overall house electrical system and is really a last resort. New circuit runs from the main board is the better design.

flex/cable from 32A CB to hob

Some makers supply cable, others don't or it won't be long enough. Do we really need to explain that an installer should refer to the instructions and by suitable sized cable, heat resistant is a good idea however sub counter runs of te would surfice IF there isn't an oven below (as an additional heat source).

flex/cable from 16A CB to oven

As above

does cooker point have 3mm double-pole isolation?

If it is a cooker point switch it will have 3mm, again socker maker will varify

does switched FCU have 3mm double-pole isolation? (I don't think so

MK ones do, pretty sure MK grid 20 amp 2p switches are as well

(rushes off to find out.............)

What people need to know regarding cookers and kitchens is that they should be in there since it's inside Part P :eek:

can we have a wiki for replacing a cooker with separates?

DIYnot.com Wiki

What is a Wiki?

A wiki is a website where users can add, remove, and edit every page using a web browser. It is like an encyclopedia that anyone can edit and contribute towards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back