machine unresponsive

hca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After running a perfectly normal load, I tried to start my Kenmore washer for another load. NOTHING happened. The plug and fuse work, but I can't get the washer to do anything...I've tried all of the settings. We're relatively handy, so if it's a small part we'd like to fix it ourselves. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
After the mains switch, the other control on washers (at least in the UK) is the door switch, obviously a safety mechanism to stop you running the machine with the door open. The catch you see on the door also operates the door switch when the door is closed. Often, over time, the door latch and the switch inside the housing become misaligned just enough for them not to close the switch. With the machine ready to go, try pushing hard against the part of the door that has the catch (and hence the switch) on it. That often makes the contacts. Failing that, or even if that works, you can realign the catch and the switch by loosening their holding screws, moving them slightly (trial and error) and retighten them.

Door Switch. If you're handy, test by wiring a temporary bypass but don't operate permanently like this (there's a reason why doorswitches are a universal safety requirement and you don't want to see your "after" photos in circulation on the INTERNET). As said by bathjobby, very often the microswitch becomes misaligned but sometimes it just fails (corrosion, metal fatigue, etc.) and will require replacement.
Should the test show that it is not the door switch, then you have a short (broken wire) that will require tracing. Occasionally it will be in the wire run but mostly commonly in points of connection. Since you are getting "NOTHING", the connection is likely near the initial power input. Be careful if you're pluggec in and checking for connectivity with a probe. Look for corroded connectors or dangling ends (these things are rarely soldered or wire wound today). Don't forget to check connections of your doorswitch wire...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back