Property Damage in bathroom advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

i was hoping i could get some advice from you guys. The nightmare bathroom i;ve been working on is finally complete. However yesterday the woman asked me to move up a mirror cabinet about 6 inches. I took the unit down a couple of times to mark up the holes properly. I was very careful when taking it down and moving it around. I placed it on a couple of dust sheets.

I then put it back up onto the wall in the correct position, and screwed it in. I then noticed that in the bottom left corner, a small area of mirror was missing, about 1 cm wide, 4 centimetres up. I couldnt figure out what had happened so looked around on the floor and found the missing peice which had broken/cracked off. Now i know i was very careful when moving this around so was surprised it was damaged.

The only thing i can assume is the customer had previously knocked it and weakened it, or its a poor quality mirror, as considering how i was moving it around and placing it on the floor, it was not put down with enought force to break a small bit of the mirror off.

However the customer noticed and i advised her i dont see how it was damaged as i was very cautious moving it around. She asked if i had dropped it and i said no.

What should i do from here? The mirror cabinet costs £100. She still owes me £50. Should i contact the company and complain about the poor quality of material and send it back? Or do i accept full responsibility and pay the customer for the damage? Or do i refuse to pay her anything based on the fact i dont feel i did anything to damage it in the first place?

Sponsored Links
any advice anyone? I'm going back tonight to discuss it with her so would be grateful if anyone could let me know what approach i could take.

Everyone is going to deny everything here, I fear - although the woman probably did it herself, she'll surely deny it. The manufacturer won't want to know either.
Anyway, see if you can get a new bit from the makers, or maybe a glazier can cut you piece to replace it?
I think its a case of shyte happens - we've all been there - so see if you can come to some amicable agreement. And put her bill up next time....
Be lucky!
John :)

Thanks for the reply John.

I did manage to find the peice and stuck it back on with clear glue, and it fit perfectly. You can see it as a little crack in the corner but its nothing major. However this woman is a difficult one, has given nothing but hassle on this job so will assume she will try and get me to pay for anew one which i will refuse to do. But then she will refuse to pay me the remaining £50 she owes me.

Sponsored Links
Surely, if it had been repaired before there would be signs of glue or adhesive around the broken area. ;) ;)

Surely, if it had been repaired before there would be signs of glue or adhesive around the broken area. ;) ;)

no i'm not saying it was broken before, but it must have been knocked and weakened as i did not do anything yesterday which would have caused that peice to break off.

I was very careful when moving it around and placed in on 2 dust sheets on the floor so i really cannot possibly see how i managed to break it.

Either that of the manufacturer gave a shoddy product.

Its just giving her ammunition to shoot you with mate - she'll agree to nowt but a brand spankers replacement, I reckon. Either that or she'll not give you the 50 quid as compensation - and that crack will be there until the end of time.
It sounds like she's been an awkward one from the off - the world's full of 'em.
Be lucky!
John :)

I can;t see you gaining anything here, you will lose £50 either way. Reading thru the posts it seems you've sold yourself well short on this one, going in cheap is not always the answer.

just a thought
did you take any pictures off the bathroom that may include the cabinet concerned

would think you could get a bit off mirror glass cut to fit

i am sure she is trying it on

ask for proof off purchase or where she got the cabinet from as your insurance company needs proof off any claim over £30 as suspected false claims will be investigated as a matter off course and prosecution will follow because off the recent number off false claims

watch her reaction closely as this will tell you if she is telling porkys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back