Additional BT Line - How will they do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm getting an additional line installed soon and would like some info on how BT will go about connecting it.

In getting an additional line will this involve a new drop cable from the telegraph pole to my junction box on the external facia and then into the existing internal junction box - or will they put a new cable in and run it into an additional internal junction box, therefore giving me two junction boxes running to two master sockets?

Also my existing drop cable runs through the door frame, will the engineer refuse to run another drop cable through the same route, as it looks like the existing one was put in around the door frame as supposed to through it.

I was hoping to propose that the master socket cables x2 (vain hope I'll get a nice engineer that will move the existing master aswell as place the new one where I want it) be ran through a small hole in the wooden floor, through the floorboards and I will then get underneath the floors and drag the cables the whole 3-4m to underneath the staircase, where all the CAT5 cables are located.

If I haven't explained very well please let me know!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pound to a penny, (I'm getting old), there is a spare pair of wires going into your existing master socket, just needs a new connection up the pole to give you the new line.

Pound to a penny, (I'm getting old), there is a spare pair of wires going into your existing master socket, just needs a new connection up the pole to give you the new line.

If that is the case and he doesn't have to arse around drilling through the door frame again - you reckon he will consider drilling a releatively small hole in the corner where it comes in, down through the floor boards so I can pull the wires up from the foundation pit?

Thanks for the input

Sponsored Links
If that is the case and he doesn't have to a**e around drilling through the door frame again - you reckon he will consider drilling a releatively small hole in the corner where it comes in, down through the floor boards so I can pull the wires up from the foundation pit?

Thanks for the input

You misunderstand - the spare wires are already inside the existing cable. A telephone cable has 3 twisted pairs, and you need one pair and (perhaps) a ring wire for each line. Therefore each BT telephone drop cable can take up to two seperate 'lines'. You just need a seperate socket for the new line.

No no I get what you are saying mate,

What I meant was the drop cable which is about 30cm INTO the property and into the internal junction box is attached to the wall near the door. The wire then splits off to the internal white wiring to the master socket - I was hoping the engineer will chop the small run of wire from the existing master (approx 1m) and then run TWO wires from the junction box (internal) down through the floorboards whilst I pull them across the hallway whilst in the foundation pit and then feed them up into the staircase. It's about a 4m distance from junction box to the staircase.

What I meant was the drop cable which is about 30cm INTO the property and into the internal junction box is attached to the wall near the door. The wire then splits off to the internal white wiring to the master socket

There's a good chance your new BT master socket will be fitted adjacent to that junction box. BT dislike running internal wiring to master sockets now.

You can have a flush mounted master NTE if you provide a plastic box all ready flushed in for him to use. Provide 2 plastic boxes and some hob-nobs and he might move your existing master back to that location.

What you do after that with your extensions is up to you.

I hope to god that isn't the case - I've just ran two cables from the internal junction box, and fed them down through the floorboards and into the foundation pit, across the 4m length and up into the staircase cupboard - this is where all my CAT 5 leads to and preferably where I'd like the existing master socket and additional one placing.

Here's to hoping!

You may find a helpful engineer, but if not, let him put it where he wants.....and then move it.

Yeah I suppose that is an option but I really would of liked to have kept it a legitimate move. On another note, should I mention the fact I think the drop cable is in a bad way, I've opened the junction box to have a look today, and about 2-3" in it's been botched with electrical cable and then reattached - looks like it's two pieces stuck together...is it worth mentioning or will I get moaned at?

It depends on what type of provison task it is,this will depend on your service provider and what they have paid for,the engineer will have to do it to the quality standards and is on a very tight time schedule so i doubt he will touch your original line unless you make it easier/quicker for him.If it is a wlr3 provison he should provide the master socket no more than 3 mtrs from where the dropwire enters the building, he can then provide you with a extension to where you want it IF THE SERVICE PROVIDER HAS PUT TIME ON THE JOB ,ask the engineer if its a wlr3 provison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back