Airlock in electric pump shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Can anyone help? We had a new washing machine plumbed in at the weekend and of course they needed to turn off the water. Then the shower wouldn't turn on. I think it worked for a few minutes, then it's just the noise (Triton 80si I think). When we've had the water turned off before, the same thing happened. We had a toilet flush issue, and that plumber used a vacuum cleaner to somehow suck out the airlock.

Can anyone tell me know to do that? I tried unscrewing the shower head and simply turning on the vaccuum cleaner with the tube into the shower hose, but I don't think I did it right, as nothing happened. I really don't want to pay an £80 call out for 2 mins work if I can do it myself... Unfortunately I have no DIY men around to rely on! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your plumber will have almost certainly used a Wet'n'Dry vacuum, if you use your normal one and get water in it it will go bang quite spectacularly, and will probably cost you that £80 call out to replace

Yep, I guessed that, which is why when I vacuumed I didn't turn on the shower. It does drip a small trickle when on, but labours. I don't have a wet and dry vacuum - is there any other way to remove the air lock? I rang Triton and they said to twiddle with the knobs and pressure and also try sucking the air out through the hose myself, but nothing made any difference.

Sponsored Links
If you didn't turn on the shower then that explains why it didn't work, you were just applying a vacuum to the shower hose and not the pipework where it needs to be, the shower must be on for this technique to work.

Turn the pump off and try running it, when there's air in the system the pump can be a hindrance and can also retain some of the air, which will lead to premature failure.

Most good hire shops will have a wet'n'dry you can hire, half a day shouldn't cost too much

How do you turn the pump off? I'm pretty sure it's integrated in the shower.

Ah sorry my mistake, it is, I'd forgotten which shower we were talking about! There's a bleed screw inside the casing of these showers, you could try opening that up with the electrics turned off and well protected to see if it'll bleed through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back