Power Shower Airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I installed a shower pump sometime ago into a shower room, which had previously been fitted with a non-pumped gravity shower, in which the hot water was supplied via an Essex flange. The Essex flange had been installed by the housebuilder 13 years ago.
Before I fitted the pump, I would frequently be plagued by airlocks in the hot supply. I cleared this by forcing mains cold water through a hot-tap. The shower would work for a couple of weeks then airlock again. The pipework from the airing cupboard to the shower is around 12M in 15mm copper.
Since I fitted the pump, it more often than not suffers from airlocks, and I would rarely get anything but a stone cold shower. I must add at this point that I am pulling the water, as opposed to pushing it, with the pump adjacent to the shower room. Whilst I realise this is not ideal, please bear in mind the following: Recently, on suspecting the Essex flange to be the problem, I capped off the Essex flange, and tee'd off the 15mm shower feed from the 22mm hot water feed adjacent to the cylinder, 45mm below the vent tee. This has resulted in lots of hot showers with good pressure. However, every 10days or so, I get an airlock, which needs to be cleared as mentioned earlier. I suspect that this occurs when a tap is opened elsewhere in the house.
I know that most of you will advise fitting a flange as this will provide an independent supply to the shower, however, my previous experience with the Essex flange was that it produced continuous airlocks.
My only issue now is how to prevent the shower from sucking air into it's supply pipe when other taps are opened. I would try a Surrey flange, but from what I've read elsewhere on this site, the flow is impeded less with an Essex flange (which puzzles me).
Moving the pump to the airing cupboard isn't an option, as this would involve damaging hardwood floors etc.
The shower functions well without the influence of other forces (ie taps opening ) elsewhere in the house.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you break your text into paragraphs it will be easier to read.

where is the cold water tank in relation to the cylinder and the shower, how big is it, how big is the pipe between tank and cylinder, and does it have any constrictions such as service valves.

Thanks for your quick reply. I've now split the post into paragraphs (new to the forum...apologies for that).
The CW tank is directly above the cylinder with a distance of around 2.5M between the bottom of the CW tank and the top of the HW cylinder.
The cylinder if fed by a 28MM pipe with a fully opened gatevalve in the run.
The top of the shower head is just over 1M below the base of the CW tank.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention. The cold water tank is 50 Gallons and the HW Clylinder is 1050mm x 450mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back