Airlocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a customer who has been suffering with airlocks on their gravity fed system for some time. Clearing the airlocks has been successful with the usual methods but they keep coming back. Would a Surrey flange help prevent the issue occurring?

I suspect a Essex flange maybe better suited as a solution, however, I don’t really want to risk the install of an Essex flange for fear of dropping it inside during install and then have to remove cylinder to fish out the parts.

Or perhaps someone has another solution?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Presuming you mean the hot water side?

Firstly have you checked that the inlet valve in the cistern is letting in enough water to keep the cistern from running out and is there a restriction where the cold pipe enters the cylinder?

Hi, thanks for you reply and apologies for the delay in responding but Covid finally caught up with me. Fighting fit now. I’ve contacted the customer to find out what’s happening here. I’ll investigate further and come back to you.

In answer to your questions, yes it’s on the hot water side. I’ll check the cold water inlet is fully open and whether or not there are any restrictions and report back.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are there high points on the system pipework? They are the usual culprit for airlocks being created by air bubbles from the HW cylinder and the HW pipework raised up above the cylinder, usually into the attic and then back down.

Normally though air bubbles should be dealt with by the vent being in the correct position, being on the first rising T from the cylinder and the HW feed to all the outlets on the downward leg.

As suggested, is this a pump issue or just the normal HW supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back