Saving Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new condensing system boiler installed. I originally programmed it to heat up the HW from 6:30am to 10:30pm every day. However when I had a visit from the installer ( over another issue ) he told me that I would save money if I was to leave it ON all the time. I thought these boilers were v.efficient and I also have a new hot water tank. So should it make that much difference?

Sponsored Links
Why heat when your not in if it ain't running it's not costing. A condenser works best when the system heats from cold or cool it's to do with the return temp cooling the flue gases to give up the heat into the secondary heat exchanger, therefore using up all the available heat into your pipework. Once the system gets warmer the condensing mode decreases and it becomes like a more efficient conventional boiler.

Typical of a breed of installer who doesn't understand physics. Perhaps you could go the whole hog and leave the doors and windows open too. Why do people thing it's cheaper to leave something switched on than to turn it off. Daft or what?

In the old days it might have been cheaper to use a small heater and leave it on all the time, than to have the expense of a large heater which could heat things up quickly. Nowadays boilers are so cheap you can have a large power output and it doesn't apply.

Once the system gets warmer the condensing mode decreases and it becomes like a more efficient conventional boiler.

Other way round.
On part load, (flow temp and) return temp decrease so it can condense.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Chris got me mucking furds wuddled again. Read it again and see your point confused myself too. I meant that on conventional mode (non condensing) it is still more efficient than an ordinary boiler while being super efficient on condensing.

I have a combi boiler (now 7 years old) and was told a similar story by the servicing engineer so have had HW on 24 hours since then.

Was this also out of date info?

Laudy I take it it's a floor standing combi, these can be set for on and off but if it's heated in the morning the insulation will keep it warm through the day if you need a small amount of water, then bring it back on later to boost for the evening. Also WM combi's are always on 24hr hot demand but only when you open the tap. Therefore you don't waste money heating up a bank of water and topping it up throughout the day. Saying that there are some WM combi's with heat banks. I suppose it's up to the individual his or her preference.

He didn't say it was a combi, he said a system boiler, leaving it on all the time shouldn't matter as the cylinder stat will kill the pump and boiler anyway once it's all heated, plus with a part L compliant cylinder it aint gonna lose much heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back