How do I calculate annual cost savings for replacement combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to work out the cost savings if I swapped our old combi boiler for a new one.

The existing combi is a Glow-worm Swiftflow 80, Efficieny Band F (10-15 years old?).

I am looking at a Glow-Worm Betacom 28A HE Gas Combi (http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/Glow-Worm-Betacom-28A-HE-Gas-Combination-Boiler.html).

We only have a 2-bed mid terrace and I think this is powerful enough.

HW is currently coming out at 9 LPM in to a weir cup and that is fine for us.

Also Energy Saving trust website says 9KW is what we need for boiler output as its a very small house.

However I can't find any info on running cost savings, only that newer boilers are more efficient!

Thanks peeps.

Sponsored Links
the efficiency of the old boiler might be say 75% and the new boiler
say 89% so you have a saving of approx £15 per £100 you spend on gas.
just run the old boiler until it fails with something like the fan then replace it.

I replaced my old Servowarm with an Intergas combi the first week of January.

Since then I have reduced the monthly direct debit by a 1/3rd (£30.) and had a £363.00 refund :cool:

Gas price is fixed so the same as last year, and obviously the weather has been silly mild and got a lot to do with it, although it was silly from January this year.

I reckon over the 12months I will have saved £400.00. :cool:

I replaced my old Servowarm with an Intergas combi the first week of January.
I reckon over the 12months I will have saved £400.00. :cool:

Don't forget you got your boiler at trade price and didn't pay any fitting fee.

The OP will have to speed £1500 - £2200. (that's a guess)

The OP is better off keeping the boiler until it fails, try and save some money each month.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

The existing boiler breaks down 2-3 times a year which is a pain. Luckily I am on BG Homecare 100 scheme so I only paying monthly premium of £16 for the repairs. But I have another question,

If I get a new boiler, do I still need to keep up the boiler cover or will the new boiler be covered by a warranty? I have never bought a new boiler before (this is my first house).

And will this warranty include the annual service or I do need to arrange this myself? Becos getting rid of this cover will save £190/year!

Re fitting, I have been quoted £400 for the fitting (I supply the boiler) including sign off.

Cheers

Thanks for replies.

The existing boiler breaks down 2-3 times a year which is a pain. Luckily I am on BG Homecare 100 scheme so I only paying monthly premium of £16 for the repairs. But I have another question,

If I get a new boiler, do I still need to keep up the boiler cover or will the new boiler be covered by a warranty? I have never bought a new boiler before (this is my first house).

And will this warranty include the annual service or I do need to arrange this myself? Becos getting rid of this cover will save £190/year!

Re fitting, I have been quoted £400 for the fitting (I supply the boiler) including sign off.

Cheers

Most of the boilers come with a 5 year warranty. So you can cancel the BG cover while the boiler warranty is running. A big saving.
Beware some manufacturers will look
to any problem as a way of getting out of the warranty.

Thanks for confirming that.

However can anyone confirm if I need to arrange the annual service myself or is that somehow included in the new boiler contract?

And if its up to me whats the best (sorry, cheapest!) way of arranging an annual service? I assume its not via one of these boiler cover contracts and that would be too expensive?

LAST QUESTION - I assume if I miss an annual service and the boiler breaks down I can tear up the warranty?

You will need to do an annual service to maintain the warranty and the safe operation of the boiler.

Modern boilers HAVE to be done every year otherwise problems can arise.

Cheaping out of this kind of stuff is .. well... being polite - daft.

Oh, and quick reply to Hertsdrainage - £400 is still £400 regardless of John's initial layout... Now if only we can get him to upgrade his heating controls too ;).

Thanks for confirming that.

However can anyone confirm if I need to arrange the annual service myself or is that somehow included in the new boiler contract?

And if its up to me whats the best (sorry, cheapest!) way of arranging an annual service? I assume its not via one of these boiler cover contracts and that would be too expensive?

LAST QUESTION - I assume if I miss an annual service and the boiler breaks down I can tear up the warranty?

If you give your installer a ring they will be more than happy to pop round and give the boiler a check over. A missed service and yep you guessed boiler warranty out the window.

Oh, and quick reply to Hertsdrainage - £400 is still £400 regardless of John's initial layout... Now if only we can get him to upgrade his heating controls too ;).

John's got a brilliant room stat controlling his nice Intergas boiler. I personally fitted and wired it up. :cool:

Did you know they are so desperate for me to try OT they were going too send me one for free. :rolleyes:

when listening to cost-saving tales, be sure to get the actual gas usage per the meter; not the monthly direct debit (which is based on estimates) nor the cost (which varies with price changes)

I had my old iron potterton replaced with a new Viessmann on 19/09/08
(which has a 5-year parts and labour guarantee if fitted correctly by one of their approved installers - look at the website) and my gas usage dropped from

usage with old boiler
year to 27/09/05 1722m³
year to 16/06/06 1807m³
year to 30/05/08 1563m³

usage with new boiler:
year to 01/11/09 1125³
year to 23/11/10 1281m³ (last winter was very cold)
year to 23/11/11 997m³ (this autumn has been very mild)

So in my case I seem to have saved about a third, which is far better than I expected. Due to improved efficiency, the summer usage dropped from 1.3m³/day to 0.5m³/day (I still have the same modern cylinder)

I did also replace the old TRVs with new ones before the new boiler went in, and I fitted a programmable room stat about a year ago. These must have helped too.

Agree about the fuel cost John, in my case, though it's fixed till April next year, so the unit cost is the same as.

Your saving of a 1/3rd is in line with mine.

savings can be made with controls, and if you are going to change the boiler it is pointless not to do them as well...cases of up grading from on-off controls to compensation controls on condensing boilers have shown savings of 10-15%.

Of course we are taiking about energy saving something very difficult to measure as there are a vast amounts of variables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back