Potterton EP2000 Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have EP2000 central heating programmer. Recently when I put both hot water and central heating on (both switches down to bottom setting), the programmer makes a knocking noise (like solenoid rod moving in the coil). It does not make noise if i only switch on the water or central heating. Can any one help to solve the problem or do I need a new programmer? Which is equivalent programmer or better programmer on sale to EP2000? Where can I purchase one at a reasonable price?
Help much apprecited.

Sponsored Links
EP series are dreadful, you are much better off with a 2 channel fully independent model.
Until recently, I would have advised a Honeywell 9400, but Honeywell seem to have problems these days. I'd probably go for a Danfoss.

EP series are dreadful, you are much better off with a 2 channel fully independent model.
Until recently, I would have advised a Honeywell 9400, but Honeywell seem to have problems these days. I'd probably go for a Danfoss.

Thanks for the advise. I have been away on holiday.

Are other programmers (other makes) easy to wire or connect? What about potterton 2 channel and is my existing past its life?

Sponsored Links
Connecting another programmer is quite easy if you know the basics of 230V wiring.
EP series including today's models is very limited due to its design.

Connecting another programmer is quite easy if you know the basics of 230V wiring.
EP series including today's models is very limited due to its design.

Thanks again for prompt response.

I am a basic DIY person and am familiar with 230V. I just want to make sure that different make of programmer is not going to give problems to the operation of the Central Heating system. I am planing to go for Danfoss, Should I purchase any particular model where I can have both the water and heating on at the same time or individual.

The problem with using different brand programmers is that the back plates will differ from Potterton.The EP series sometimes used the programmer as a wiring centre and complicates the fitting.If yours is a wiring centre then you need to accommodate the extra wires and space becomes an issue unless you fit the new prog on a spacer box.My advice is to stick to Potterton unless you like a challenge. :)

Danfoss should work fine on most systems, worst case scenario you may have to change one or two wires, but that is about it. 90% chance that you can just wire the new one into the existing cables.

Make sure you get a programmer that allows for COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT settings. You should never have ch and dhw on at the same time; separating them invariably gives a huge boost to performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back