storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently has storage heaters unknown rating ? but are supplied from grey twin.earth 6mm wide. surface mounted cable about 20meter run can i run a 3.5kw or 2x 2.5kw storage heaters

Sponsored Links
How long is the cable?

Where does it run? (i.e. in insulation/buried in conduit/clipped to the surface/bunched up with other cables?)

What is the type and rating of the fuse/MCB?

See here for details of why all of these things matter....

KLyouthcentre said:
currently has storage heaters unknown rating ? but are supplied from grey twin.earth 6mm wide. surface mounted cable about 20meter run can i run a 3.5kw or 2x 2.5kw storage heaters

If you measured it and it is indeed 6mm wide then the answer is an absolute NO as the cable will be 1.5mm at most.

I would suggest that you get the advice of someone who knows more that you currently do, we would be unable to give any concrete help without knowing the proper cable core size as this is crucial to the current rating of the cable and this in turn is directly linked to the size of heater or any load capable of being supplied by it.

20m of 1.5mm is borderline for 3.5KW is borderline in both cable rating and volt drop but should be ok as long as the cable is away from insulation

using 1.5mm for 5KW is definately out

however i think if it really is only 6mm wide then its probablly only 1.0mm cable in which case both of your proposals are out

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean 6mm wide (which sounds like 1mm cable to me too) or 6mm thick? This is all a bit wooly. Have a close look at that cable for any numbers or letters embossed on the outer sheath. If you're really lucky you'll find something that will help identify it.

The cables coming out of your consumer unit can be a useful clue. Lighting circuits are mostly 1mm cable and ring mains are 2.5mm. Does the unknown cable match either of these? If it doesn't then it's most likely 1.5mm or else something bigger than 2.5mm, eg 4mm or 6mm. If it is bigger than ring main cable you can count yourself lucky!

NB: You should know that we are all lazy when talking about cable sizes. You can't measure cross sectional area in millimetres. The correct description of a typical lighting cable is one SQUARE millimetre and that goes for all the other sizes too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back