Baxi Bermuda 552 TV Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just moved into a new property, which is fitted with a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler. It seems to be working without fault, keeping everything nice and warm.

There was no TV aerial in the property so I installed a shiny new one last weekend and the freeview coverage was perfect, until the boiler fired up.

Every time the boiler cycles on the freeview signal on all the TVs is scrambled until it turns off. From the reading I've done this seems to be a fairly common issue with Baxi boilers and most suggest it’s an issue with the thermostat/ suppression of it.

I opened up the thermostat cover and found that there is a suppressor fitted. My question is, is it possible that the suppressor has worn out or is it that the thermostat has worn? What should I replace, if anything?

I'm pretty desperate to solve it as I assume this will be affecting my neighbour’s signals too.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Wow that was fast.

Thanks very much I shall get one ordered.

Tom

Did you use cheap brown air spaced coax, or decent foil screened satellite cable?

If it was the former, then that is part of your problem too!

Sponsored Links
The foil screened coax is better but in a normal signal strength area the brown one should still be OK.

Did you fit a proper Yagi antenna designed for Freeview with at least 11 rods and fitted to a chimney or other high point?

Usually the interference is caused by the thermostat not clicking rapidly to the off position and that causes arcing which emits wideband interference. The supressor is a potted capacitor perhaps 0.01 uF capacitor and a resistor usually 100 ohms in series. That might have failed but the underlying problem is likely to be the stat.

Needs an RGI to fit a new stat!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back