Might not get planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have applied for planning permission to build a single story extension to my terraced house.

I am building it across the whole of my land. My next door neighbour has objected to the plans. It seems that he cannot seem to be able to read plans.

The feedback that I am getting from the council is that they are worried about the size.

The reason for the extension is the size it is is so that my father who recently had a stroke and who is now wheel chair bound can come and live with us for the foreseable future. Having taking advice from the different government runs services, mainly the OT from social services, who looks at the space and advises so that my fathers needs are met. The OT has stated that the extension is just big enough for his needs. There would be no reason to build it if we cannot use all the space.

My other neighbours have no problems with the extension.

Being that this extension is for the rehoming of my father who is classed as disabled, is there anyway to sway the council to agreeing planning permission.

When I spoke to them they stated that they could agree to it due to personal reasons, but I cannot find any legislation to cover this.

If we dont get planning permission, I dont really want to cut off 1.5 metres as space inside is precious and it would not fulfill my fathers needs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does the extension conform with Local Planning Policy?

You can send in some spiel in the form of a constructive statement from your agent (or you if you’re handling the application yourself) and an additional letter of support from your OT and anyone else you can think of. You could also get as many of your neighbours to write letters of support, you could also try discussing it with a more senior planning officer although this may cause friction! Probably be a few other suggestions from other members.

As far as I am aware it does, the guy who drew up the plans also drew up my next door neighbours plans, they have having similiar entension done but not so big. Their extension was approved.

I believe that the PO is having a meeting with her boss on Thursday regarding this, so will try and get something to her by then.

Going to try and contact the OT as well and will get my next door neighbours to email their approval.

If the application conforms with Local Planning policy then there should be no grounds to decline it! :idea:

Sponsored Links
Where would I find this local planning policy?

Managed to get hold of the OT, who is going to email planning, she actually believes that it is slightly too small, and if any alterations are made to make it smaller then it would be detriment to my fathers needs.

It should be available be on your council website somewhere, which are usually quite hard to navigate. If you can contact planning and ask them to direct you to it on their website. What is your local authority? Maybe I'll have a look myself.

Thanks I was trying to find page in local council and not regional council.

I am hoping I have Pmd you.

Can give you details and you can actually see the plans on there.

I think this is the fella you want http://www.babergh.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A1B4FEDA-089E-4E46-A8AB-1A50D1F9BAB8/0/Chapter03.pdf which is basically a summary of the one I linked to previously. Some local plans are a lot more specific as to what is and is not acceptable, yours is pretty vague tbh. You can send me a direct link to your application or give me the application number but I think if you message me with that info all and sundry will be able to view it so probably best to email it to me (in my profile too), will only be able to offer my opinion though!

Opinion is always good, ? I am not sure if Pm went through 1st time and cannot see your email address.

Hmm, IMO it is a bit out of scale with the rest of the house, you’re tagging it on to the back of the existing ground floor tenement so I’m not really surprised the planners have taken the stance they have tbh.

If you’d been my client I’d have told you it may well not get through and would likely need some extra info to support it at least. Sorry. All you can do is write (or get your agent to) to planning as I have mentioned already and try and justify it with a good defence, also get your agent to write a statement why he disagrees with their comments regards to scale if he can.

Hmm, IMO it is a bit out of scale with the rest of the house, you’re tagging it on to the back of the existing ground floor tenement so I’m not really surprised the planners have taken the stance they have tbh.

If you’d been my client I’d have told you it may well not get through and would likely need some extra info to support it at least. Sorry. All you can do is write (or get your agent to) to planning as I have mentioned already and try and justify it with a good defence, also get your agent to write a statement why he disagrees with their comments regards to scale if he can.

I totally understand, as I told the planning dept, I wouldent be doing this extension if it wasent for my father and unfortunately we need all the space possible.

I have got the OT to email the planning dept and I have also emailed and spoken to her. Its going to her boss to decide on Thursday, so hopefully he is having a great day. Funny thing is that they suggested that I build up around the side of the house, the area that makes the enclosed part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back