Original house plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just planning a loft conversion and still early stage, need to get a builder in to have a look yet. As it was built 2006 by Wimpey has anyone ever got hold of original plans from the builder? or the builder control officer? Wondered if this could save some time and money being able to get my hands on these.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm quite surprised you don't have a copy with the original documentation/certification of the house?

I'm sure you could request a copy from the local authority or even contact the developer direct?

Commercial developers very rarely give out plans in the handover pack. I believe you can get the drawings that were submitted for Building Control under the Freedom of information Act although technically you would not have permission to use them. Realistically even if you got drawings from the LA they may be useless as developer Regs applications are highly generic, depends how big the development was. Wimpy may be prepared to give you copies although they’ll charge a healthy admin fee.

Frankly it’s usually a whole lot easier to get your designer to just redo them when the time comes.

You may also find some drawings on your local authorities planning application list.

What house type was it? I may have some Wimpy stuff in my archives!

For a simple loft conversion normally isnt worth the time/effort in getting plans.. but if you are planning larger extensions in the future they can be useful.. building control have hard copies of all submitted plans which you can view and sometimes copy (again often comes with a price)..

Sponsored Links
Hi all the reply from Wimpey was "Unfortunately we cannot send out plans of house types. These are copyright protected and on some occasions are drawn by third party architects and are not the property of Taylor Wimpey." so thats a no then.

My house type for freddymercurystwin is a Motcombe I am sure.

Thanks

Hi all the reply from Wimpey was "Unfortunately we cannot send out plans of house types. These are copyright protected and on some occasions are drawn by third party architects and are not the property of Taylor Wimpey." so thats a no then.

What a load of baloney. If I know Wimpey, their "As drawn" won't match the "As built" anyways - no wonder they won't release the plans :LOL: .

No sorry, a ton of standard Wimpey details but no house types. Bet your bottom dollar it’ll have trusses though which will be a pain in the butt with regards to doing a lofty!

Did a quick hunt and no Motcombe, but remember the name from previous firm.. anyways gonna be a truss roof always are.. so loft conversion wont be simple.. still BC should have plans on file you can view..

Also as said their standard house type drawings rarely reflect the actual build

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back