Different extractor enquiry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall light in the bathroom with a permanent live cable to it - the light has it's own integral switch.

Am i right in saying that if I put a junction box in this cable I can provide a cable for an extractor fan broken by a fused pull switch, which is then wired into the fan?

This will allow me to use the fan without the main room light on.

Sponsored Links
yes, but take care to route cables according to the permitted routes, and that any joint box needs to be suitable for the environment (damp steam etc) .Oh and decide if you are going to notify the job to building conntrol - stricly this will come under part P building regs.

Cables will run behind plasterboard over ceiling joists, will this be ok?. Did not know that you could get special junction boxes, but will investigate

ok bought a fan, and it says that in addition to the pullcord switch, I need to add a double pole switched fused connection unit to the supply and it has to be outside the room?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be outside the room, unless the room is very small.

It needs to be in Zone 3 or outside the zones.

You may put it outside, if you prefer, as long as you can ensure that nobody will turn it on without you being aware of it if you've turned it off for maintenance....

Great thanks...downloaded several pages of bathroom zone diagrams and followed those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back