marples chisels the best ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bort some marples chisels for my brother at xmas ! are these any good ? i was told by a chippy there ok ? wot others r there then to compare against ? anyone help ? :eek:

Sponsored Links
i personally dont like the yellow/red handled ones but i think that their blue chip chisels are some of the best, great steel and rock hard handles.

ive got the stanley fatmax bevel edged chisels also and i think they are great aswell, but the handles sound like they are starting to come away from the steel, they have had some use mind.

as john said above marples are one of if not the best chisel manufacturers

hope this helps :)

tom

i use the red/yellow handle ones.
there are garunteed anti split proof,so if they do you get a new chisel.ive bought a few from boot fairs and got them changed f.o.c from a local stockist
;)

Sponsored Links
The red & yellow handled ones are defo my favourite. My old man(shipwright/ ships carpenter by trade) has got a few of these, that he has had for donkeys years, and that have seen more than there fair share of action, and they are still going strong :!:

I actually have a set of.. wait for it.. Draper chisels. Ten quid for four, and they're actually really good for occasional use. Good edge, nice handle, and a striking cap (so no plastic to split).

ive got the stanley fatmax bevel edged chisels also and i think they are great aswell, but the handles sound like they are starting to come away from the steel, they have had some use mind.
Yes I've got a couple of these too and the steel striking cap has become loose and does come out on one chisel, other than that they are very good.

I also agree about the quality of marples chisels. I also have some old sorby chisels which are very good and henry taylor are also very good tools- http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor-henry-taylor-traditional-firmer-chisels-prod23547/ and with the "advantage" that the red diamond badge makes them look like cheap chinese imports when light fingered scrots are about :D

I like to pick up old chisels from car boot sales etc. The steel they used years ago was probably better quality than a lot of modern chisels. Marples make great chisels which will keep a sharp edge for a fairly long time (depending on what your cutting). ;) ;)

Not any more, if you bought old ones, yes he'll be happy.
If they are new then they are nothing like the old ones and will need looking after as they have far eastern blades afaik.

any old chisels like Sorby, Tyzack, old marples, car boot sales or ebay best place to get them. ones with plastic handles are ok for builders to use with there lump hammers.

Irwin Marples are the best, sharpen up really well and with a metal striking cap. The old Marples are ok but I don't like the knurl at the bottom of the handle, it gets in the way for some applications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back