Split Load Consumer Unit or Not ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Hope you can help me out with a little question I have.
I have just bought a Hager split load consumer unit ready for a local electrician to fit. When it has been delivered, and I have opened it up, to my untrained eyes it looks just like a normal (not split load) CU.
Should it have two separate metal bars (DIN bar?)???
Hope you can help me

Regards
john_boy

Sponsored Links
it should have an isolator and a RCD. 1 busbar goes from the isolator and 1 from the RCD. there are also 2 neutral blocks

there is only 1 din rail

If you have the mcbs and the rcd then the bus bar gets cut to the required length by your spark.

There should be two seperate neutral connections and one earth bar also

If you get supplied with a couple of sets of internal tails - then these link out from the switch to the rcd - then the rcd to the top rail busbar to the rcd side of the mcbs, the switch connectors get linked to the bus bar going to the non rcd protected mcbs - if you understand all that LOL :p :evil: :?: :idea:

Neutrals from the rcd mcbs must be on a seperate connector strip than the non rcd protected mcbs.

Screwi, please note 10a

Sponsored Links
john_boy_02 said:
Hi all.

Hope you can help me out with a little question I have.
I have just bought a Hager split load consumer unit ready for a local electrician to fit. When it has been delivered, and I have opened it up, to my untrained eyes it looks just like a normal (not split load) CU.
Should it have two separate metal bars (DIN bar?)???
Hope you can help me

Regards
john_boy

Most modern Consumer Units have just ONE din-rail, that is the 35mm wide rail on which the breakers clip onto.

The copper busbar i.e. the plate that feeds power from the mainswitch to the breakers, is mounted separately, and there is one busbar for each side of the split load unit.

Thanks for all of your [very comprehensive] replies.

I already have the mcbs, but . .

there were no busbars with it, no internal tails (i guess these are he cables) - only the case with a din rail (yes 35mm width) and two terminal blocks.

The model is a Hager VU8D, but I can't really find enough info on it on their website, and no reference to it being split-load. The bloke whgo sold it me says "The manufacturers described it as a MKII which has the option of a 4 + 4 split load or a straight 8 way load, the split requiring 2 isolators"

I will need more help (and parts !!!) from my lecci I suppose. I was only trying to save time, but it's not been too successful

Once again, thanks for your help

john_boy_02 said:
Thanks for all of your [very comprehensive] replies.

I already have the mcbs, but . .

there were no busbars with it, no internal tails (i guess these are he cables) - only the case with a din rail (yes 35mm width) and two terminal blocks.

The model is a Hager VU8D, but I can't really find enough info on it on their website, and no reference to it being split-load. The bloke whgo sold it me says "The manufacturers described it as a MKII which has the option of a 4 + 4 split load or a straight 8 way load, the split requiring 2 isolators"

I will need more help (and parts !!!) from my lecci I suppose. I was only trying to save time, but it's not been too successful

Once again, thanks for your help

it sas it has the option of split load... it doesnt say it is split load... best to let your spark get the stuff needed, since he actually knows what he's lookin for

1) 4 + 4 is a bit small.

2) Did the guy in the shop ask you what type of supply you have (i.e. what type of earthing arrangement) when he sold you this?

3) Are you sure that your electrician is OK with you supplying the parts?

Bought off eBay on the strength of the description - live and learn

Yes, he was OK me buying the bits - i was only trying to get things ready for when he can do the job next month !!!

You reckon 4+4 is a bit small for my house then ??? I only have a 4 way old style fusebox at the moment

john_boy_02 said:

Yes, he was OK me buying the bits - i was only trying to get things ready for when he can do the job next month !!!

You reckon 4+4 is a bit small for my house then ??? I only have a 4 way old style fusebox at the moment
when houses are re-wired there is often a lot more than 8 circuits...

well before we had our extention built we only had 6 cuircuits (2 lighting 3 rings and an immersion heater cuircuit)

now we have
2 lighting cuircuits
3 rings
1 16A radial for loft socket (it was formally on the immersion cuircuit which the electrician told us wasn't acceptable)
1 outside power cuircuit (was formally on a fcu from a ring)
1 electric shower
1 immersion heater cuircuit

i'd imagine that this count is fairly typical for a reasonablly sized house with fairly modern wiring.

john_boy_02 said:
I hope that 4+4 refers to the number of ways that the box provides after you've installed an incomer and an RCD...

Before you go any further with your purchasing, this is important - do you have a TT supply? (See the For Reference topic for explanations and diagrams)

OK - now, the items on the list below may not all apply to you, but they are worth thinking about:

1. Upstairs ring
  2. Downstairs ring
  3. Kitchen ring
  4. Radial for appliances
  5. Cooker circuit
  6. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  7. Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  8. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  9. Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  10. Upstairs lights
  11. Downstairs lights
  12. Immersion heater
  13. Shower
  14. Alarm
  15. Supply for outside lights
  16. Supply for garden electrics
  17. Supply for shed/garage

Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rings run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back