Electric Shower gets power, doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Triton Zante II Electric Shower. It has been working perfectly.

Now, I switch on the ceiling isolator switch, the power light lights up on the shower unit, but goes off when I push the shower switch on, (also the light on the ceiling isolator goes off) and the shower does nothing. There is power inside the shower.

Could it be the solenoid? And, if so, where can I obtain one?

Many thanks,

Unwashed person !!!

;) ;)

Sponsored Links
The tell-tale sign of the shower switch neon going off when you try to run the shower means you have got a high resistance joint upstream of it. 99% of cases this is a burnt out connection to the ceiling isolator switch. Isolate the shower circuit and remove the switch to see if this is the case, if it is, obtain a new switch, cut back the cabling to clean copper and fir the new switch

There is power inside the shower.

How do you know this ? A neon screwdriver ?

There is a fault in the supply to the shower and this is almost certainly a failed connection somewhere between the CU and the isolator switch or in the isolator switch itself. Most often this fault occurs when the screw(s) in the terminal(s) of the switch come loose resulting in a poor connection.

The poor connection can pass enough power to light the two indicator lamps but not enough to light the lights and operate the shower.

With the power OFF at the CU look at the isolator switch and look for loose terminals and possibly scorching of the switch and / or leads. If so replace the switch.

i had this years ago - it was a faulty switch contact in the ceiling switch so i got it replaced, but make sure it is 45 amp switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi you lovely people there - I can be clean again!!!

That's exactly what it was, the Isolator Switch - happened to have a new one lying around, like you do!!!! And now, Bob's my uncle, and Hey Presto!, a working shower again!!!!

:p :p :p

So excellent advice, and a job well done!!

Presume the original Isolator was not good quality, as the connections were certainly tight enough!! Luckily had enough cable to cut the black bits back to blue again!!

THANKS VERY MUCH!!

All the very best, from a clean and smiling person!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Presume the original Isolator was not good quality, as the connections were certainly tight enough!!

Chances are that they weren't... the heat from the fault damages the screw and thread so if you tried to undo them after the event they seem tight.

Not that theres any need to be undoing them anyway, you'll be stripping back the cable some more, so just cut them off

"How do you know this ? A neon screwdriver ?"

I used a volt stick!!!!

"Presume the original Isolator was not good quality, as the connections were certainly tight enough!!"

"Chances are that they weren't... the heat from the fault damages the screw and thread so if you tried to undo them after the event they seem tight.

Not that theres any need to be undoing them anyway, you'll be stripping back the cable some more, so just cut them off"

Well I did them up myself in the first place, and I'm pretty good at checking how tight my connections are, so I'd go for the fault developing in the isolator switch. Especially as it came from our local builders' merchant, and they've been going downhill with the quality of their goods!!!

Again, thanks very much for all your help, and really glad the shower is up and running again, and I've learned something else useful regarding the fault!!! Superb!!

Cheers all !! :D :LOL: :) :D :LOL: :) :) :LOL: :D :) :LOL: :D

I used a volt stick!!!!
jpshakehead.gif

Also, using the Quote facility is a better way to quote and reply to other posts than just copying them and putting " " round them. That's why it's provided.

And putting [color=....][/color] at the beginning or end of a line does nothing. The Preview button is provided so that you can see what your post is going to look like - gives you the chance to change it before committing it if it isn't right.

I still say thanks for the help I have received on this site.

The last post sounds like sarcasm, which is unnecessary. You got the message, does the syntax really matter that much?

I didn't have much time to work out all the niceties of the posting - and don't see the colour bit posted in my preview, or in the post, which looks quite okay to me.

Again, thanks for helping me to fix my problem.

That's all folks!!

The last post sounds like sarcasm, which is unnecessary.
It's not sarcasm (I think you need to look up what that means) - it was a genuine request for you to make your posts easy for people to read.

You got the message, does the syntax really matter that much?
Yes!

I didn't have much time to work out all the niceties of the posting - and don't see the colour bit posted in my preview, or in the post, which looks quite okay to me.
This is what your post contained:

"How do you know this ? A neon screwdriver ?" [color=darkblue][/color]

[color=#000000][/color] I used a volt stick!!!!

"Presume the original Isolator was not good quality, as the connections were certainly tight enough!!"[color=darkred][/color]
[color=#000000][/color]

"Chances are that they weren't... the heat from the fault damages the screw and thread so if you tried to undo them after the event they seem tight.

Not that theres any need to be undoing them anyway, you'll be stripping back the cable some more, so just cut them off"[color=darkblue][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]Well I did them up myself in the first place, and I'm pretty good at checking how tight my connections are, so I'd go for the fault developing in the isolator switch. Especially as it came from our local builders' merchant, and they've been going downhill with the quality of their goods!!!

Again, thanks very much for all your help, and really glad the shower is up and running again, and I've learned something else useful regarding the fault!!! Superb!!

Cheers all !! :D :LOL: :) :D :LOL: :) :) :LOL: :D :) :LOL: :D

Someone inserted colour on/off commands at the beginning and end of lines, so unless a phantom Moderator edited your post for fun it must have been you who did it.

THANKS to all!!
wave.gif

Mr Nasty, please go away, and please don't bother posting to me again, it's rather childish.
tongue.gif
neener_neener.gif

"It's not sarcasm (I think you need to look up what that means)" - this is a perfect example of sarcasm.
blahblah.gif

THANKS to everyone else, I hope not to have any more problems, but this being life I will probably be back some time!!!
rudabaga.gif
wee.gif

Nice to have been of some help back again!!!!
taz.gif
poke.gif
banghead.gif
chillpill.gif

I'm hoping to have my Part P soon, and be able to certificate things, and any extra knowledge of potential electrical problems is very useful for me!!
spin.gif
spin.gif
spin.gif

So, to misquote Fu Manchu "The DIYnot Forum shall hear from me again!"
bat.gif
bat.gif
evilbat.gif
goodnight.gif

Mr Nasty, please go away, and please don't bother posting to me again,
You don't actually have any powers to prevent me replying to you, or the right to ask.

it's rather childish.
tongue.gif
neener_neener.gif
Oh, the irony of you writing that and then adding those smileys...

"It's not sarcasm (I think you need to look up what that means)" - this is a perfect example of sarcasm.
No - it's yet more irony from you, as it's another confirmation that you really don't know what the word means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back