Is this radiator thermostat broken?

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Can anyone tell me whether this radiator thermostat is broken or not? Is a bit wobbly as you can see.

Am not too fussed if it is - actually want to take the rad off the wall as doing some decorating, how can I make sure the valve doesn't suddenly open (apart from shutting off CH, which I was going to do anyway?)

Sponsored Links
Valve head should not wobble when tightened,so yes it needs replacing.you could buy the same trv and save doing any actual plumbing work.Most trvs come with a decorators cap which you fit when removing radiator to stop trv accidentally opening.

You need to align the head body with the lugs before you tighten the ring with the other hand.

Great YouTube video. It'll probably have over a million hits by the end of the month!

There's a black plastic spacer missing from the top of the valve body.You won't shut the rad off with that and neither will shutting off the CH.It may be a newer pattern head on an old body.

Sponsored Links
So I suppose my best option is to replace thermostat with like for like.

You've been most helpful gents, thanks very much, really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back