DVR/Camera/PIR standards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to build a system which has two cameras (although there may be up to 4 in the future) - one for the side of the house and one for the back.

I would like it to sound an alarm inside the house on motion detection and show the current camera view on a monitor (preferably there would be two monitors - one in the lounge and one in the bedroom).

I would also want it to record on motion detection.

From what I have read people seem to recommend using PIRs rather motion detection software.

Can anyone therefore recommend:-

a good DVR (2-300 quid) or DVR software for a PC (I have a dedicated PC I can use) - preferably which supports two monitors and can sound an alarm
PIRs which will work with the recommended DVR. (I can't for the life of me figure out if there is a standard for connecting PIRs to DVRs - is there?)
A good camera which will work with the DVR - has to be an external one and suitable for night operation (around 100 quid?)

I have a wireless network around the house, but am happy to run the wires if needs be.

If you don't want to recommend products then please just let me know what connectors I should look for on the DVR, PIRs and cameras and I can trawl the internet myself - just seems to me at the moment that every PIR/camera/DVRs have different connectors/standards!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Craig.

Sponsored Links
hi if you want a pir to activate your cctv and get a audible indication try the gjd elite it has a dedicated cctv output and you can wire to a controller with a sounder output 1 2 or 4 areas each with a different sound it also switches lighting if required hope this helps

A good DVR @ 2-300 hmm you might get lucky.
Two monitors, will be over 300 for a decent one.
Alarm imput and to trigger an alarm no problems, sure you want motion detect with cats dogs or foxes about?
Decant DVR can accept a NC going open alarm with right interface or built in ( see cost above).
Camera with IR, not always good seen some dire ones rated at 60 mtrs and see sod all after 10 and sold by pro companies.

All the above can be done, and on the cheap.
How reliable do you want it?

For example you want a camera that can see in the dark, for how far?

your budget seems to be 500,
Try here, decent enough public retailers who do have a clue and are reasonable.

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/ircameras.htm

I use them but only the high end stuff as they are loacl and handy to drop into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back