Bathroom extractor fan - wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling. The plan is to install the fan in the ceiling somewhere above the bath/shower and have the ducting run through the attic and to the roof soffit.

My friend works with electronics and has experience installing lights and sockets etc (nothing much more complex than this though). I plan to install the fan and my friend will wire it up for me (will be installed/maintained by turning the eletricity off for the whole house).

I plan to have the fan wired to the existing pull cord light in the bathroom. I'm just a little confused with isolators. Is it really necessary to connect a fused spur with this type of installation? if so, would it be ok to have this switch in the attic? I would prefer not to have one installed but I just wanted to check if this is totally necessary and how important they are. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I would like to install a extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling. The plan is to install the fan in the ceiling somewhere above the bath/shower and have the ducting run through the attic and to the roof soffit.
Just make sure the extractor fan is suitable for this purpose.

My friend works with electronics and has experience installing lights and sockets etc (nothing much more complex than this though). I plan to install the fan and my friend will wire it up for me (will be installed/maintained by turning the eletricity off for the whole house).
The way some extractor fans are fitted will require you to notify the LABC before you start work. You will probably need to ensure that the circuit is RCD protected. Who will test the circuit for you and issue you with a EIC?

I plan to have the fan wired to the existing pull cord light in the bathroom. I'm just a little confused with isolators. Is it really necessary to connect a fused spur with this type of installation? if so, would it be ok to have this switch in the attic? I would prefer not to have one installed but I just wanted to check if this is totally necessary and how important they are. Thanks in advance for your help.
You don't say whether this fan has a timer fitted or not. In any case you must follow the manufacturers instructions.

If you want the fan to come on with the light you should consider a fan with a timer. This will allow the fan to run on for an adjustable amount of time after the light has been switched off.

The wiring requires L, N, switched L and E. All of this should be available at either the switch, or the light, or an existing junction box. You'll have to find out which one. You would typically use 3 core and earth cable.

It's usual to fit a 3 pole fan switch outside the bathroom. A pull cord version is also available. You could have an in-line fan. This is situated in the loft, with a short duct going to a grille on the bathroom ceiling. An in-line fan in the loft means you can fit the isolator in the loft too.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like a may need to go with a qualified electrician if the work will require an EIC. I wasn't aware of this requirement and it looks like it might just be easy to pay a qualified electrician to do the wiring.

I will still attempt to install the fan myself which will safe a little on cost. Do you know how much (roughly) I should be paying for an electrician to do the wiring?

What types of fans require you to notify the LABC?

I would like the isolator in the loft just so it isnt in the way of anything and wont need to cut any holes in the interior walls etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
ANY electrical work in a bathroom must be notified to the local authority.

Have a look at the WIKI for details.

To do the work yourself you'll have to stump up over £100 to the local authority.

So its cheaper to use a registered electrician.
The electrician will tell you where the switch can go.

How much,???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back